"Explore the 'eye' of the Northern Cape thirstland" Kuruman by CatherineReichardt
Kuruman Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 29 photos
One of the things that I most like about writing on Virtual Tourist is that it encourages you to become a tourist in your own backyard.
Working in the mining industry, I get to visit lots of out-of-the-way places, many of which are so obscure that the majority of South Africans wouldn't have heard of them, let alone be able to locate them on a map! I have always had a taste for offbeat attractions, and in researching the 'dorpies' (a not entirely affectionate Afrikaans term for 'little towns') that I frequent on business, I have discovered a whole new dimension to places that on the face of it might seem to be uninteresting!
Such is the case with Kuruman (population 12,000), probably best known today for being the centre of the global manganese industry - not a claim to fame that is likely to guarantee its inclusion on any list of 'Must Do' travel destinations! And yet Kuruman has a fascinating social history which has influenced the cultural development of not just the Northern Cape, but also Botswana, and which gives a fascinating perspective on the little-publicised human aspects of David Livingstone's involvement with Africa.
Let's be blunt: Kuruman is a long way from anywhere, and not really on the road to many places unless you're intrepid enough to be heading west from Johannesburg to Upington and the incredible Augrabies Falls. I am not suggesting that you make a special trip just to visit, but if you do find yourself in this neck of the woods, you are clearly someone who has a taste for exploring the 'road less travelled', and Kuruman will probably appeal to those instincts.
All that and a riviting insight into the significance of dolomitic springs - what more could you ask for???
The garden opposite the main mission house at the Moffat Mission is lined with ancient, arthritic pomegranate trees... more travel advice
Actually David Livingstone was presuming a good deal when he stepped outside into the garden with Miss Mary Moffat ...... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Kuruman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Explore the 'eye' of the Northern Cape thirstland"
- "The oasis of the Kalahari"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuruman
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Kuruman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuruman
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Wrote a Review Pomegranates by Africa's oldest irrigation furrow in Kuruman Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pomegranates by Africa's oldest irrigation furrow"
- updated a Kuruman Travel Page "Explore the 'eye' of the Northern Cape thirstland"
Photos in KurumanSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos