"Plenty to like about the Pearl of the Winelands" Top 5 Page for this destination Paarl by CatherineReichardt
Paarl Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 87 photos
I have a fundamental problem with the winelands of the Western Cape - or anywhere else for that matter - as I am allergic to wine.
Which, I must add, has never stopped me having a good time in Paarl. What I like about the place is that it's a genuine working town - albeit with a significant tourist overlay - and has still retained the character of a small regional service centre to the surrounding community. Whilst other wineland towns like Franschoek are pleasant and picturesque, they have been so subsumed by the tourism culture that they have become caricatures of their former selves, and risk being reduced to little more than an assemblage of wine cellars and chi-chi restaurants. Paarl's not like that.
Paarl is home to arguably the most outlandish monument to language anywhere in the world. The phallic Taal (language) Monument is testament to a racial group's defiant pride in their language and culture, and its concrete modernism is splendidly at odds with the Cape Dutch architecture of Paarl and the bald granite of Paarl Rock which looms over the town. It is both an ideal spot to linger for a few days so that you can leisurely enjoy what the town has to offer, and also a spendid base from which to explore the surrounding area.
Whichever you decide to do, if you're disappointed by Paarl, you're doing something wrong!
- Pros:The Taal Monument and Paarl Rock are wonderful tourist counterpoints to a genuine working town
- Cons:Traffic tailbacks on the highway from Cape Town when there's a 'booze bust' road block
- In a nutshell:An excellent centre for exploring the winelands and the Overberg
As the traditional wedding vows caution, marriage is "not to be entered into lightly", so upfront I should state that... more travel advice
I adore the Taal monument, which is one of the quirkiest and most outlandish looking monuments you'll find anywhere in... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Paarl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paarl ( meaning pearl)"
- "Plenty to like about the Pearl of the Winelands"
- "a short drive from Cape Town is PAARL"
- "Het Taalmonument (The language monument)"
- "Paarl and the Winelands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paarl
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Paarl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paarl
Photos in PaarlSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos