"Another day, another obscure platteland dorpie ..." Vryburg by CatherineReichardt
Vryburg Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 9 photos
One of my former teachers told me that if I didn't have anything positive to say, then I shouldn't say anything at all. Of course, I have long since disregarded this - and much more - of the sterling advice that I was given at school (and elsewhere), but in my writing on VT, I have tried to adhere to this rule and genuinely strive to find the positive in even the most unpromising of locations. Hell, I've even found innumerable positive things to write about Big, Bad Jo'burg!!!
Which might be why Vryburg proved to be somewhat of a trial to me ... and sadly prompted the most negative review of a place that I have yet to write
I have to travel to Vryburg occasionally on business, which is how I unsurprisingly found myself the first - and, to date, only - VTer to blog about the town. Vryburg is the major service centre for cattle ranching country on the fringe of the Kalahari and styles itself (somewhat optimistically) as the 'Texas of South Africa'. It is apparently the site of the largest cattle sales in the Southern Hemisphere, with over 250,000 head of cattle being sold here every year.
Vryburg sits in the remote northern section of North West Province. It's an obscure and timeless part of the world which isn't really on the way anywhere, and is flat, dry and brown even at the height of the rainy season. Like most cattle areas, there is great wealth among the ranching community, but other than low paying jobs on the ranches and supporting service industries in town, there is little else in the way of employment, and opportunities for economic upliftment are few and far between.
The concrete monstrosity that Vryburg's municipal building says it all: a town stuck resolutely in its heyday of 1960s and 70s - when farmers from the platteland heartland wielded significant influence over the apartheid government - which may have politically transformed, but has never really moved on. The town's few monuments - a lonely monument to the Voortrekkers and the gate house to the town's game reserve, which formerly served as a Boer war prison - speak volumes about a place where the last noteworthy events occurred over a century ago.
I am sure that if it's your home town, you might manage to hold it in some affection, but for the tourist, it's hard to see any appeal, other than as a refuelling point and staging post on the road to somewhere more interesting. Maybe if you're there for one of the weekly cattle sales, it might have more to offer, so hopefully one of these days, I will be able to time one of my visits to coincide with this, and hopefully revise my opinion: sadly, in this regard, I am not constrained by any lack of opportunity for improvement ...
- Pros:A regional service centre, so a good place to reprovision and avail yourself of services
- Cons:Dry, dusty and depressing
- In a nutshell:Refuel and then drive on ...
If you're driving into Vryburg from Kuruman, on your left hand side just before you reach town, you'll see the entrance... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Vryburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another day, another obscure platteland dorpie ..."
- Create a Vryburg Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Vryburg
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (144)
Have you been to Vryburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vryburg
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Vryburg tips
- updated a Vryburg Travel Page "Another day, another obscure platteland dorpie ..."
- Wrote a Review A strange entrance to Leon Taljaard Nature Reserve in Vryburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A strange entrance to Leon Taljaard Nature Reserve"
Photos in VryburgSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos