"The unexpected wonderful wildlife of Walvis Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Walvisbaai by CatherineReichardt
Walvisbaai Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 148 photos
Walvis ('whale' in Afrikaans) Bay is Namibia's only deep sea harbour and largest port, located about 35km south of the more heavily touristed Swakopmund.
Due to its strategic importance, it had a bizarre late 20th century history, being 'transferred' in 1971 by the South African government from South West Africa (then under South African administration) to form part of South Africa's Cape Province. Despite Namibia achieving independence in 1990, Walvis Bay remained an isolated tiny outpost of South Africa, and only became part of Namibia four years later.
Those beginning to research the possibiluty of travelling to Namibia may not realise that Walvis provides an interesting alternative point of entry to Nambia. There are a couple of flights from Johannesburg a day operated by Air Namibia and SA Express, and these carriers also operate services from Cape Town. Whilst generally more expensive than the Jo'burg-Windhoek flight (as there isn't so much competition, and none of the low cost carriers service this route), it's not extortionately expensive, and you may find that there are special deals on offer. If you are hiring a car, then it might well be worth investigating the possibility of flying into Windhoek and out of Walvis (or vice versa) to save yourself the extra driving time and additional hire car and fuel costs involved in driving a circular route.
For more on attractions in the area, follow this link:
My Swakopmund Page page
My Usakos page
My Karibib page
My Otjimbingwe page
My Omaruru page
- Pros:An unpretentious working port with spectacular marine life
- Cons:The town itself is not particularly cultured or scenic
- In a nutshell:Well worth the short drive south from Swakop!
Just a word of warning if you decide to fly out of Walvis Bay to connect with an international flight. The airport is... more travel advice
To be honest, I would probably not have bothered with the harbour tour at Walvis Bay if my parents hadn't done it a few... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Walvisbaai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walvis Bay - Where desert meets coast ..."
- "Surrounded by the Namib Desert"
- "A fisherman’s place by the Atlantic Ocean."
- "The unexpected wonderful wildlife of Walvis Bay"
- "Back after 25 years"
- "Flamingos At Walvis Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Walvisbaai
- Hotels in Walvisbaai
- Transportation in Walvisbaai
- Restaurants in Walvisbaai
- Warnings and Dangers in Walvisbaai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Walvisbaai
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Walvisbaai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walvisbaai
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Wrote a Review Beware of poor visibility at Walvis Bay airport in Walvisbaai Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beware of poor visibility at Walvis Bay airport"
- updated a Walvisbaai Travel Page "The unexpected wonderful wildlife of Walvis Bay"
Photos in WalvisbaaiSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos