"Truly a town in the middle of nowhere!" Helmeringhausen by CatherineReichardt
Helmeringhausen Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
Helmeringhausen would be well and truly off the tourist map - except as a refuelling stop - were it not for one utterly unique tourist attraction in the surrounding area - the outlandish and pocket sized Schloss Duwisib, which is proof postiive that building follies was not the exclusive preserve of the English!
Helmeringhausen is also conveniently located at the junction of a number of roads, which make it a reasonable stopping off point in a part of the country that isn't particularly well served by affordable tourist accommodation.
The Helmeringhausen Hotel is a nice stop off for lunch, offering reasonable Germanic inspired pub grub and icy cold beer. If you're waiting for your order or just want to stretch your legs, why not consider visiting the Agricultural Museum, which was established by the local Farmers' Association? It displays old interesting farming implements, such as historic drilling rigs used to drill water boreholes and fire fighting coaches, used in the olden days. As with so much of rural Namibia, ask at the hotel for the key!
Schloss Duwisib defies rational description and is an object lesson in What Not To Do to impress your new wife. The 'castle' was built by Captain Hans Heinrich von Wolf, a captain in the German Schutztruppe who built a faux medieval castle in the Namibian desert to impress his new American bride.
Unfortunately he and his wife were travelling outbreak of World War II, and being a dutiful Prussian, he rejoined the German army - only to perish in the Battle of the Somme in 1916. His bride escaped to Britain where she saw out her days, never returning to Namibia - or the castle of their dreams. See my travel tip for more details on this tragic saga.
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Helmeringhausen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Helmeringhausen
- Hotels in Helmeringhausen
- Restaurants in Helmeringhausen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helmeringhausen
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Helmeringhausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helmeringhausen
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- updated a Helmeringhausen Travel Page "Truly a town in the middle of nowhere!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Proof that not only the English build follies!"
- Wrote a Review Proof that not only the English build follies! in Helmeringhausen Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos