"Going to pot in Ambatolampy" Ambatolampy by CatherineReichardt
Ambatolampy Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Peope probably have many expectations of what they will see and learn on a trip to Madagascar, but I would wager that few expect to receive a master class in the fine art of aluminium post casting! However, if you're venturing from Antananarivo (Tana) on the long haul south, then in the little town on Ambatolampy, you'll get your chance!
Ambatolampy is located a couple of hours south of Tana on the main road to Antsirabe. On the face of it, it is a pleasant but unremarkable little High Plateau town: in general, they are interesting and attractive places, and it certainly provides a good opportunity to stop and stretch your legs.
For some reason that I didn't quite grasp, the town has a thriving pot casting business, in which recycled aluminium is cast in backyard foundries to make cooking pots. You will see these pale silver-coloured pots in many of the tourist markets in Madagascar, and they are also sometimes used for individual portion servings in more upmarket restaurants.
Ourt time in Ambatolampy was limited as we were on our way to Antsirabe. However, we did stop for a delicious lunch on the terrace of a very pleasant French-inspired restaurant on the left hand side on the road just before the end of town, whose name I have unfortunately forgotten.
Because of the variable road conditions, estimating travel times is a challenge when you're planning a trip to Madagascar, so it's easy to underestimate the time required to complete a certain journey and/or to try and fit too much in. If you are planning to travel this route, we left Tana early morning and started our day by visiting the lemur park west of Tana (see the travel tip under my Tana page) before heading on to Ambatolampy. From there, we continued on to Antsirabe, where we stayed overnight: this makes for a varied and interesting day that isn't too rushed provided that you have your own vehicle.
- Pros:You'll mearn more about pot casting than you ever wanted (or needed) to know!
- Cons:The health & safety in the pot foundries is hairraising!
- In a nutshell:A good stopoff to break the journey between Tana and Antsirabe
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Ambatolampy Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ambatolampy
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Ambatolampy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambatolampy
Photos in AmbatolampySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos