"Andasibe? Perinet? Brilliant whatever you call it!" Andasibe by CatherineReichardt
Andasibe Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 102 photos
Andasibe (formerly known as Perinet) is probably Madagascar's most accessible and best touristed national park, and it's not hard to see why. From a wildlife perspective, this was the high point of our trip, and a fitting end to a magical and exhilirating fortnight.
Andasibe (and its neighbouring park, the less touristed Mantadia) are well set up for tourism. They are easily accessible from Tana and feature well laid out and maintained trails that are accessible to people of moderate fitness. There is also a good interpretative centre at the entrance - the best that we saw in Madagascar - and clean toilets. We had a wonderful guide who managed to turn up things that we hadn't dared expect - mossy leaf-tailed geckoes, a nightjar and her fledgling (which we almost stepped on) and even a pair of mating chameleons (his colours constantly changing to reflect his level of excitement, and hers absolutely unaltered, suggesting indifference).
We were amused to note that the (2008) Bradt guide that we used mentioned that Andasibe-Mantadia attracts "up to 300 visitors a day": hardly mass tourism (especially if you're used to the thousands a day that places like the Kruger in South Africa attracts). This statistic is precisely why Madagascar is such a marvellous travel destination for those who are prepared to be a little adventurous in their choice of destination - surely there are very few places in the world where you can visit such an iconic park and yet have to share it with so few others even in peak season?
(work in progress)
For those who didn't get to the zoo in Tana, the crocodile farm near Vakona Forest Lodge offers a rare opportunity to... more travel advice
Madagascar's national parks come to life after dark. Many of the 'crowdpleaser' lemurs who tend to hog the touristic... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Andasibe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andasibe? Perinet? Brilliant whatever you call it!"
- "Outskirts of Andasibe"
- "First National Park"
- "Lemurs galore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andasibe
- Hotels in Andasibe
- Transportation in Andasibe
- Restaurants in Andasibe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andasibe
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Andasibe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andasibe
Photos in AndasibeSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos