"Tana was an unexpected delight!" Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo by CatherineReichardt
Antananarivo Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 470 photos
When we were researching our Madagascar trip, we got a pretty good idea from the guidebooks and websites of what we thought that the highlights would be, but really didn't get a sense of what to expect from Tana, our point of entry.
Sometimes it's good to travel to a place without preconceptions, as we discovered to our surprise that we loved Tana - thus it came as an unexpected bonus, the cherry on the top of a magical trip!
Tana is charmingly chaotic, in an endearingly haphazard way. It felt unfamiliar, yet welcoming, and we never felt in any way threatened.
I suspect that many tourists bounce in and out of Tana on their way to more exotic locations. Whilst I can understand that most people don't have as much time as they would like in Madagascar, I feel that it would have been a pity not to have oriented ourselves in Tana for a couple of days before heading off into the surrounding regions, and that we gained some basic understanding of Malagasy history and Merino culture in the time that we were there.
- Pros:A city with an utterly unique feel, and a good introduction to a wonderful country
- Cons:The traffic congestion is unspeakably awful, and only very brave (or foolhardy) tourists should consider driving there
- In a nutshell:You'll enjoy it more than you thought you would, so allow yourself some time to appreciate its unique charms
Like every other town on the High Plateau, Tana is surrounded by paddy fields in which the staple starch - rice - is... more travel advice
Nothing will prepare you for the disaster that is the Tana road network in daylight hours! Like most cities, the Tana... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Antananarivo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antananarivo, my birthplace - Tana, my first home"
- "Tana was an unexpected delight!"
- "BET YOU CAN'T SAY IT 3 TIMES REALLY FAST !"
- "Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar"
- "Antananarivo - 'Tana' to you."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antananarivo
- Hotels in Antananarivo
- Transportation in Antananarivo
- Nightlife in Antananarivo
- Restaurants in Antananarivo
- Shopping in Antananarivo
- Warnings and Dangers in Antananarivo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Antananarivo
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Antananarivo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antananarivo
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Critique a very draft..."
- Commented on one of Orchid's Antananarivo tips
- updated a Antananarivo Travel Page "Tana was an unexpected delight!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Synergies between brickmaking and rice cultivation"
- Wrote a Review Synergies between brickmaking and rice cultivation in Antananarivo Things to Do
Photos in AntananarivoSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (68)
Latest Antananarivo hotel reviews
- Colbert Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Hotel du Louvre
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- La Varangue
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Carlton
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Hotel Royal Palissandre
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013