"Tana was an unexpected delight!" Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo by CatherineReichardt

Antananarivo Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 470 photos

When we were researching our Madagascar trip, we got a pretty good idea from the guidebooks and websites of what we thought that the highlights would be, but really didn't get a sense of what to expect from Tana, our point of entry.

Sometimes it's good to travel to a place without preconceptions, as we discovered to our surprise that we loved Tana - thus it came as an unexpected bonus, the cherry on the top of a magical trip!

Tana is charmingly chaotic, in an endearingly haphazard way. It felt unfamiliar, yet welcoming, and we never felt in any way threatened.

I suspect that many tourists bounce in and out of Tana on their way to more exotic locations. Whilst I can understand that most people don't have as much time as they would like in Madagascar, I feel that it would have been a pity not to have oriented ourselves in Tana for a couple of days before heading off into the surrounding regions, and that we gained some basic understanding of Malagasy history and Merino culture in the time that we were there.

• Pros:A city with an utterly unique feel, and a good introduction to a wonderful country
  • Cons:The traffic congestion is unspeakably awful, and only very brave (or foolhardy) tourists should consider driving there
  • In a nutshell:You'll enjoy it more than you thought you would, so allow yourself some time to appreciate its unique charms
  • Last visit to Antananarivo: Jul 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2010

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Lovely village this seems to be :-)) So cute animals and ... I realised that Tana is part of this A-name.. (took me a while, but then I too am this middle aged f..t :-)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hi Jim
    Thanks for your kind comments on my Tana page! I can't recommend both Madagascar (and its underrated capital) enough, and am itching to return so that we can epxlore the bits we haven't yet got to!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

great tips. Madgascar is on my list.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
      Dec 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Hi Jim
      Regards
      Cathy

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Never knew much about Antananarivo, so I learned a few things from reading about your stay there. Looks like an interesting place.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Tana really has an unexpected delight for me as well! Thank you for the visit on my pages in Slovakia. Best L.

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I like your packing list. I some times travel with a small hard shell case with 2 straps through the handle so I can wear it like a ruck sack. Plug and ear plugs are regulers of mine as well as a sarong (they dry quicker than towels). Plastic tie wraps ar

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

As far as I know Tana got the old red trains from the Forchbahn from Switzerland but I heard that they never run. Would love to ride on them though.

• anisah23's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2011 at 2:59 AM

thank you Cathy, I love my country.

• betska's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM

This place has been on my wish list since I was a young girl. Wow what a place!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Absolutely fantastic page, Cathy! Yes, markets are the best place for observing life of the local people, where colours, smells and flavours are all mixed together into a scene that is varied and original. Loved the pictures from Madagascar Exotic!!

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Antananarivo

Have you been to Antananarivo?