"Quite literally "Out of Africa"" Crescent Island by CatherineReichardt
Crescent Island Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 12 photos
Crescent Island is a little peninsula of lake that juts into Lake Naivasha from its eastern shore. And if it looks just a little familiar to you, that might be because it was used as the location for parts of the "Out of Africa" movie - for which the wildlife was originally introduced - and more latterly, to film scenes for Angelina Jolie's action romp, "Tomb Raider".
The island can be accessed by vehicle via a causeway, but by far the most popular way to get there is by boat, which also gives you an opportunity to appreciate the fantastic bird life along the lakeshore (twitchers might care to cast an eye over the travelogue on my Lake Naivasha page). From there, you are met by a guide, who takes you on a walk during which you can get extremely close to the animals, which are thoroughly habituated to people.
Crescent Island is a fantastic half day excursion if you're in the Naivasha region, and would be hugely popular with children. However, because there is walking involved, it is not suitable those with mobility constraints, and I wouldn't recommend it with children who are too young to realise that the animals - though habituated - are still wild and could pose a threat to their safety if startled.
The habituated nature of Crescent Island's animals is both its charm and its downfall: on one hand, you are likely to get much closer to animals that you would usually do on a conventional safari, but there is no disputing that it is 'wildlife lite'.
My advice would be to accept Crescent Island's limitations, and accept it for what it is - a wonderful opportunity to observe the animals at close quarters, which also offers stunning photo opportunities that will do wonders to enhance your photographic credentials with friends and family (who won't be aware of how generously the odds were stacked in your favour)! However, I would not recommend using this as a substitute for a more genuine safari experience unless you are under such time pressure that you have absolutely no option.
For other attractions in the vicinity of Crescent island, follow these links:
My Lake Naivasha Page page
My Crater Lake page
My Lake Bogoria page
- Pros:You'll probably never get closer to wild animals!
- Cons:Could be accused of being "wildlife lite"
- In a nutshell:As long as you accept its limitations, it's a really nice way to spend half a day
Some things in life just make it harder to be taken seriously ... like being born a wildebeest (or gnu), which, with... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Crescent Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Crescent Island
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (144)
Have you been to Crescent Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crescent Island
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Crescent Island travel pages
- updated a Crescent Island Travel Page "Quite literally "Out of Africa""
- Uploaded a Photo to "Quite literally "Out of Africa""
- Wrote a Review The Lake Naivasha Yacht club in Crescent Island Things to Do
Photos in Crescent IslandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos