"Nobody here but skimpies and ghosts!" Agnew by CatherineReichardt
Agnew Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Well, my colleagues are grinning broadly, so that must have something to do with the sign that says, "Skimpies all this week!"
For those of you who have not yet been exposed to Australia's unique take on staff uniforms in pubs, a 'skimpy' is a young lady who mans the bar in nothing but her underwear. This is a wildly popular practice in the remote rural towns of inland Western Australia, and is particularly a feature of mining towns with heavily skewed gender ratios such as Kalgoorlie, Kambalda and ... well, Agnew.
Except that Agnew isn't a town anymore, and the nearest centre of population these days is Leinster, nearly 30km away. Once home to 500 at the height of the gold mining boom in the area, since the closure of East Murchison Union (usually referred to by the rather appropriate acronym EMU) Gold Mine, it is now a ghost town with little but a pub and a rather nice display of old mining equipment to hint at its vibrant past.
The pub has been recently restored, and, like most Australian country pubs, offers not only drink, but also meals, accommodation and ... of course, skimpies!
For more on the secret life of skimpies, see my Kalgoorlie page!
- Pros:Traffic congestion is no longer a problem in town
- Cons:Best book in advance if you're planning to stay the night, as it's a long drive to the next town!
- In a nutshell:The epitome of an Australian mining town after the gold rush
I don't like goats much ... in fact I don't like goats one little bit, as - with the notable exception of people - they... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Agnew Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Agnew
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Agnew?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agnew
Photos in AgnewSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos