"Hanging Rock - with or without the picnic!" Mount Macedon by CatherineReichardt
Mount Macedon Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
I can't possibly be the first person to document the mysterious and atmospheric Hanging Rock, so I don't quite know where other VTers have written up Hanging Rock - maybe under 'Off the Beaten Track' in the Melbourne pages?
Anyway, most people - myself included - would know of Hanging Rock because of the movie 'Picnic At Hanging Rock'. The movie is based on a novel by Joan Lindsay and relates an eerie tale about three teenage school girls and their teacher who go missing on a school picnic to Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day 1900 and the tumultuous events that are unleashed by their disappearance. The book was subsequently made into a beautifully photographed movie by Peter Weir in 1975 which remains one of the classic Australian movies of all time. However, all is not quite what it seems ... read my travel tip for a startling update on this classic mystery of Australian folklore.
Hanging Rock - more correctly known as Mount Diogenes - is located in the Macedon Range north of Melbourne and makes a lovely day trip from Melbourne, Ballarat or Bendigo. As a tourist attraction, it has it all: stunning scenery, marvellous natural history, Aboriginal heritage and a world famous mystery - yet is just that little bit too far off the beaten track for mainstream tourists to bother with. In other words, pretty well the perfect tourist destination!
- Pros:Broodingly atmospheric and a perfect day trip for families and grownups alike
- Cons:Pretty well impossible to access practically by public trasnport
- In a nutshell:Stunning scenery, marvellous natural history, Aboriginal heritage and a world famous mystery - pretty well the perfect tourist destination!
When Joan Lindsay sat down to write her highly acclaimed novel 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', in the 1960s, surely she never... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Mount Macedon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hanging Rock - with or without the picnic!"
- "Disasters wait for no man"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Macedon
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Mount Macedon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Macedon
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- updated a Mount Macedon Travel Page "Hanging Rock - with or without the picnic!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Should Hanging Rock be renamed Nipple Rock?"
- Wrote a Review When fiction is more credible than truth ... in Mount Macedon Things to Do
Photos in Mount MacedonSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos