"Savour Orange's outstanding Roman antiquity" Top 5 Page for this destination Orange by CatherineReichardt
Orange Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 136 photos
Why the enchanting World Heritage-listed town of Orange doesn?t attract more attention is quite beyond me, because it has it all: lovely architecture, a unique Roman heritage in a state of preservation unparalleled in Europe, links to Crusader history and bags of understated charm all bathed in that incomparable Provençal light.
Orange is overshadowed by its proximity to other major tourist centres - notable Avignon and Nîmes - and given the number of extraordinary things to do that are packed into this little corner of France, it?s not surprising that it would often get overlooked. But if you?re looking for the perfect day trip from either city, without the crowds that gravitate towards gorgeous Pont du Gard (the other logical contender), then you need look no further than Orange.
Orange was founded as the Roman town of Colonia Julia Firma Secundanorum Arausio ("the Julian colony of Arausio established by the soldiers of the second legion") - usually called Arausio for obvious reasons.
Its major claim to fame is its stupendous Roman theatre - whose stonking great 9,000 seater capacity indicates what a populous place it must have been - which would make it well worth a visit even if the town didn?t have anything more to offer. Southern Europe is sprinkled with Roman theatres in varying states of repair, but what is so extraordinary about the one in Orange is that the stage wall is still completely intact (a distinction it shares with only two others, one of which is in Turkey, and the other in Syria). I had long wondered how the audience kept their attention on the stage when they were gazing past the actors into the middle distance beyond, and to experience a Roman theatre the way it would have been when it was operational was an utterly difference ? and altogether more atmospheric - experience. It also boasts its own Arc De Triomphe which further serves to underline that whilst Orange may be a fairly small town today, it was certainly far more significant in Roman times.
For those who quail at the mere prospect of the crowds and in-season prices in Avignon, Orange offers a practical and cost effective alternative as a base from which to explore this region, even if you don?t have a car at your disposal. The rail link to Avignon takes less than half an hour (and the bus only an hour, at a third of the cost of the train) and whatever mode of transport you opt for, you will be deposited painlessly right by Avignon?s city walls. The only slight downside to this is that you will need to factor in is that the buses stop running fairly early, so if you?re planning to stay until evening in Avignon, you?ll have to return by train.
For other attractions in the area, follow these links:
My Avignon page (including Pont du Gard)
My Villeneuve-lès-Avignon page
- Pros:Extraordinarily historic and comparatively untouristed compared to neighbouring towns
- Cons:As ever, we just didn't have enough time to do this lovely town justice
- In a nutshell:Roman Provence without the crowds - don't miss it!
We had less than three days in the Avignon region, and so managed to shoehorn a visit to Orange in the mid afternoon... more travel advice
Our only mistake in visiting Orange is that we could only spare half a day and we simply didn't anticipate how much time... more travel advice
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Orange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Orange, an ancient Romans city"
- "Savour Orange's outstanding Roman antiquity"
- "Miniature Rome"
- "The Oldest Active Theater In The World"
- "Girls in Orange!"
- "The Gate to the Provence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orange
- Hotels in Orange
- Restaurants in Orange
- Warnings and Dangers in Orange
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orange
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Orange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orange
- updated a Orange Travel Page "Savour Orange's outstanding Roman antiquity"
- Posted in Travel Uganda Forum "Re: safety in Kampala under the..."
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Orange tips
- Wrote a Review Nice looking cafe for a meal or a drink in Orange Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice looking cafe for a meal or a drink"
Photos in OrangeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 210 reviews, 288 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 88 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria Intro, 70 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 78 reviews, 100 photos
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 75 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 72 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 69 reviews, 85 photos
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 58 reviews, 69 photos