"A manageable Kuala Lumpur" gamondeluxe's Profile

How to get there?

There are several ways to get to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). Considering the far distance from Malaysia and Vietnam, we chose to come there by air.
Air Asia - the biggest low cost carrier operating in VN - provides direct flight to KL. We booked 6 tickets 8 months ahead at an could-be-best-deal price, $50 round trip.
Good news! No delay at all. We arrived at the airport 1:30 h ahead of depart time. No many people on this flight to KL. Well, this time is no peak season at all. Several seats was being left blank at the rear of the jet. It's good!
I myself never tried the other way to get there e.g. bus, ferry...But somebody says that we can come there on bus / ferry via Thailand. May be next time.

The easy part - to inner city

It takes only 2h totally, and you'd be at the LCCT already. You'd better aware of that the LCCT is may be for Air Asia and other low-cost / budget flights only. If you fly with VN Airline, Thai Airway...you should find yourself landed on the ground of KLIA (KL international airport). KLIA & LCCT is far apart from each other.
It does not matter where you landed. Now, find the way to the city (KL).
When you get to the ground floor of the airport, you may see some stall selling sim card (DIGI, MAXIS...). I picked DIGI, it was cheap. The rate calling from Malaysia to Vietnam is around 0.5 RM/minute. You can do some money exchange at the bank operator in the airport as well. Certainly, you may not get the best exchange rate. If no rush, save it, and you can do the exchane later in city.
You \must pass the bus ticker booth of Sky Train (AA) = RM9, and Euro Bus = RM8 (the yellow one). I think there is not much different between the two.
Just follow the path and it's straight forward. Just in case you don't know, just follow the people going ahead of you. The path leads you to the bus station (we can say so). Wait for it and hop on. Now you can rest.

KL Sentral - don't be confused

You may wondering, where this bus is gonna take me to. Certainly, to KL sentral the station of bus, train, taxi to almost everywhere in the city.
After 1h on bus, you should find yourself at KL Sentral platform. Just head upstair - can use the elevator as well - and you get inside of the station. It sells stuffs, foods, drink also.
Have you got the City train diagram with ya? Yes, you'd better have it. If not, no sweat. Head the ticket booth, and tell the ticket seller where you wanna go.
We already booked 3 night at Alamanda motel - Jalan Petaling street. So we needed to get down at Parsar Seni station.

Advice:* Head to Tourism Infomation Office of Malaysia (There are 4 offfices like that in city locating 4 different areas - how convinient). They'd guid run through so many helpfull info e.g. transporation, where to go, how to do, what to see...

We arrived at the tourism office - the one near PWTC. It was such a brilliant idea.

Navigation

This gonna get confusing!
We got dow the Parsar Seni, and got confused where we were. A bunch of 6 useless people all forgot to bring along a map. Great!
I took out the Lonly Planet and tried my best to locate ourself. Well, my advice is "you should study it in the first place".
Finally, we reach the Jalan Petaling str. It's very close to the station. Staying in China Town was not a bad idea. It was indeed very convinient.
Now the more confusing part! Locate the motel was being blocked by several stalls selling stuffs. Plus the noice made it more difficult.
Along the Petaling, so many stalls were selling all kinds of stuffs (fake - certainly) at different prices. Some local friend adviced us not to shop in this place. It's not worth it. But I myself found it still easy. If you' ever done shopping in Vietnam market, you could tell which is more challenging!
After 3 days, the only thing I bought in this market is a cowboy hat at RM17. My friend also bought 1. I consider it' was a good price. We also checked out some other shops in super market, they offered RM50-70.
Congratulation me!!!

How to move around? Train...train...train

What kind of trans means you have?
- Taxi: know the distance & do good bargain
- Train: study the train diagram first then it'd be easy
- Bus: plan for more hop-on hop-off. Do it!
- Bike: not feasible for tourist

We took train all the time. For some route which train station was too far away, we took taxi. There are four lines of train run across the city. When you take a look at KL map, the dot lines are the railways:
- KELANA (1)
- AMPANG (2)
- KL Monorail (3)
- KTM Komuter (4)

At KL Sentral, you can buy coupon (taxi) and hand it to cab driver in front. But I think the negotiated price must be a bit cheaper than stamped on coupon.

Shopping...it's madness!

It's really tempting here all styles & kinds.
Pavilion: it's simply good. You can find luxury stuffs here.
Mid Valley
Sunway Pyramid
Sunwei Gang: mid range, all shops inside look very simple & friendly
Suria KLCC
Low Yat: electric...electric stuffs
China Town: cheap, and fake merchandise. Just look if you don't really wanna buy things. Know the price and do one-off bargain.

=> Bukit Bingtang: on this road, most luxury trade centres locate here.

The icon of KL - Petronas Twin Tower

There is nothing beter to be the icon of KL.
PTT - a proud icon of KL people & Petronas Corp. This attracts hundred of visitors per day even in low season.
You'd better get up early in the morning, eat your instant noodle, and make your way to PTT. You wind find the queuce - there several people line up very early. At 8:30, a lady go count the people lining up and cut the redundance. Each group has around 15' - 20' to visit the...41 floor (skybridge) only. And it costs RM10 (2010). Take your time!

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2010

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!