"Tlemcen - Arabo-Andalus Gem" Tlemcen by shems71
Tlemcen Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 71 photos
Tlemcen has a long & fascinating history, from its creation by the Romans as Pomaria in the 4th century, to the Almoravide city of Tagrart, then becoming capital of the Zianide Kingdom, then Spanish, Ottoman, French until the independance in 1962.
Far from the thriving Algiers, Tlemcen has always been a quiet, intellectual, cultural and cosmopolitan city, with Jews, Arabs, Berbers, Europeans all letting their influence in wht is Tlemcen today.
Tlemcen was appointed Capital of Islamic culture in 2011, which gave way to a huge modernization & restoration of its precious heritage. Thus, mosques, palaces, streets, houses, castles, walls, parks, gardens and so on have been completely restored and new hotels and facilities built to be able to host events and tourists.
- Pros:Rich history, quiet & peaceful city, well kept, perfectly safe, high cultural & intellectual activity
- Cons:Very hot in summer, very cold in winter
- In a nutshell:A true gem 1h drive from Oran to enjoy Moorish architecture
shems71's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Tlemcen
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Tlemcen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tlemcen
Top 5 Pages
- Mostaganem Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oran Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Tlemcen Intro, 2 photos
- Mazouna Intro, 2 photos
- Stidia Intro, 2 photos
No friends yet.