"Genoa" Genoa by didier06
Genoa Travel Guide: 751 reviews and 2,014 photos
Genoa is the main city of the region of Liguria.It was in 2004 E.U Capital of Culture and was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2006.
Actually Genoa is best known for being the 1st Italian port and for it's aquarium ( the second in Europe).
If it is definitely overtaken by Rome, Florence or Venise for tourism, Genoa nevertheless has a rich history.
In the middle ages, the city was one of the four Italian maritimes republics with Venise, Amalfi and Pisa.
During the XIV century , Genoa had a powerful maritime empire in the mediterranean sea and the black sea, and frequently struggle against her rival Venice, but the internal conflicts between the various clans , led Genoa to the decline.In the early seventeenth century the city known a new period of prosperity.
The republic disappear in the late eighteenth century, in 1795 the last "doge" was elected.
Actually the main shopping street is " via xx settembre" with many fashion
stores, there is also a colorful market the "mercato orientale".
The old town is pleasant to visit with many small streets, near the "porta soprana" there is a house designated as that of Christopher Colombus who was born in Genoa.
The palaces concentrated via Garibaldi and via Balbi are registered on the World Heritage List.
This castle in neo gothic style was the home of Captain Enrico Alberto D'Albertis, a sailor man, ethologist who founded... more travel advice
didier06's Related Pages
Genoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown, my favourite town!"
- "GENOA - THE CITY OF BEAUTIFUL CHURCHES"
- "Genova again"
- "Genua -to visit Chiara,Paolo & eventually..."
- "pollon's new Genoa Page"
- "Ciao Genoa!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Genoa
- Hotels in Genoa
- Transportation in Genoa
- Nightlife in Genoa
- Restaurants in Genoa
- Shopping in Genoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Genoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Genoa
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Genoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Genoa
Top 10 Pages
- London 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Centre Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Athens Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Nice 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Tokyo 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Hokkaido Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Japan Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Okinawa Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Sapporo Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
No friends yet.