"The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands by zweiblumen

Falkland Islands Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 553 photos

An account of my time in the South Atlantic

It's not every day you get the chance to spend nine months at the other end of the earth, where water supposedly goes down the plug-hole the "wrong" way and the seasons are reversed. I got that opportunity and this is the story.

Birdwatching

Until I visited the Falklands I had absolutely no interest in birds at all, as far as I was concerned they were just creatures that flapped and twittered away in the garden. When I arrived in the Falklands I began to realise that the birdlife down there was somewhat (considerably!) different to that in the UK .. even I who at the time couldn't tell the difference between a blackbird and a starling could recognise that. So I bought myself a book "A Field Guide to the Wildlife of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia" by Ian Strange and it literally changed my life! Within weeks I became a passionate birdwatcher and my weekends were spent roaming the countryside .. very often Berthas Beach; searching the land, sea and sky for new feathered species.

My most exciting moment would have to be seeing this bird, It isn't exceedingly rare by Falklands standards but by world standards it is a very rare bird, the Striated Cara Cara (Phalcoboenus australis); known locally as Johnny Rook, one of the rarest birds of prey in the world in fact.

Albatross Feeding Chick

I didn't get chance to see any Albatrosses on my first Falklands tour so I made sure I didn't miss out on seeing them during my second tour. These were photographed on Saunders Island.

• Pros:Rugged, Windswept Beauty, Fantastic Wildlife
  • Cons:Not easy to get to
  • In a nutshell:I love the place
  • Last visit to Falkland Islands: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2010

• Hildeal's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I want to go there,!! but money, money , money :(

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I absolutely loved this page. I'm visiting the Falkland this month and appreciate your photos and narratives.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Was swept away here! Yr pics have a special quality, sharp focus draws the eye. So isolated & wild, a humbling landscape for humans. Reminded me of Patagonia, Puerto Madryn surroundings, with more solitude. I'd love to go! Thanks Stever & good luck!

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM

I liked Falkland Islands with its landscape, scenery and lighthouse. You have a great page here with good combination of tips and photos. Bora

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 5:49 AM

Great tips!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Good tip and great pics of the lighthouse and buzzard. I'll be there next month:-)

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 12:12 AM

This looks like one of the coolest places on earth - so much nature and wildlife! I'll add it to my list of places to visit...

• DWARF-2's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 3:21 AM

Ausgezeichnet, Zweiblumen! Great, Steve! This record of your impressions, together with your intimate photographs, of this wild and wonderful archipelago ar e a pleasure to view. D.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Excellent work here. A Japanese friend told me the Falklands are just like here in the Aleutians, but you have sheep. Judging from your pages he was right!

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 7:01 AM

Hey!! Amazing page! Your pics are so beautiful. Specially the penguin walking the beach at dawn. :) Nice work!!

zweiblumen Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Falkland Islands

Have you been to Falkland Islands?