"The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands by zweiblumen
Falkland Islands Travel Guide: 247 reviews and 559 photos
It's not every day you get the chance to spend nine months at the other end of the earth, where water supposedly goes down the plug-hole the "wrong" way and the seasons are reversed. I got that opportunity and this is the story.
Until I visited the Falklands I had absolutely no interest in birds at all, as far as I was concerned they were just creatures that flapped and twittered away in the garden. When I arrived in the Falklands I began to realise that the birdlife down there was somewhat (considerably!) different to that in the UK .. even I who at the time couldn't tell the difference between a blackbird and a starling could recognise that. So I bought myself a book "A Field Guide to the Wildlife of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia" by Ian Strange and it literally changed my life! Within weeks I became a passionate birdwatcher and my weekends were spent roaming the countryside .. very often Berthas Beach; searching the land, sea and sky for new feathered species.
My most exciting moment would have to be seeing this bird, It isn't exceedingly rare by Falklands standards but by world standards it is a very rare bird, the Striated Cara Cara (Phalcoboenus australis); known locally as Johnny Rook, one of the rarest birds of prey in the world in fact.
I didn't get chance to see any Albatrosses on my first Falklands tour so I made sure I didn't miss out on seeing them during my second tour. These were photographed on Saunders Island.
- Pros:Rugged, Windswept Beauty, Fantastic Wildlife
- Cons:Not easy to get to
- In a nutshell:I love the place
I suppose the last place you would expect to find a suspension bridge is in the middle of nowhere in the Falkland... more travel advice
For reliable information if you are staying in the Falklands the Penguin News is indispensable. Not only does it keep... more travel advice
- See All Down on the Farm
- See All King Penguins
- See All Cruising
- See All It's No Joke!
zweiblumen's Related Pages
Falkland Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004"
- "Sharrie's Falkland Islands Cove"
- "The Falklands - Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "It Rains a Lot ...... Just Like Home"
- "A piece of Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "Welcome to the Falkland Islands"
- "4 months on 1312 flight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkland Islands
- Hotels in Falkland Islands
- Transportation in Falkland Islands
- Nightlife in Falkland Islands
- Restaurants in Falkland Islands
- Shopping in Falkland Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Falkland Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkland Islands
- 35 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Falkland Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkland Islands
- Posted in Travel Falkland Islands Forum "Re: Falkland Islands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004"
- updated a Falkland Islands Travel Page "The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004"
- Commented on one of neilward's Falkland Islands travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Bridge at Bodie Creek in Falkland Islands Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Falkland IslandsSee All Photos (169)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 9 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Verde Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madeira Island Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lesotho Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Faroe Islands Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saunders Island Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Algarve Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues