"Iceland at Last!" Iceland by zweiblumen

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,676 reviews and 17,043 photos

Twenty plus years in the planning

Iceland was the first foreign country I wanted to visit, for a while it was the only country I was interested in. I would send off for travel brochures on Iceland look at the pictures and sigh ... there was no way on earth I could afford to go there or so I thought.

One Week in the doing

I saved and I saved and I saved and I chose the cheapest Iceland trip in my brochure and could only just afford it. It was a week's trekking in the highlands roughly following the Landmannalaugar - Þórsmörk route but with quite a few deviations making it a slightly lengthier trek.

and Many Miles of Walking

I don't think I have walked so far in my life, my blisters had got blisters and then there were blisters on top of them. Was it worth it though? .. Of course it was

• Pros:The wildest most wilderness-ed place in Europe!
  • Cons:Very, very, very, very, very, very, very expensive!!!!!!!!!
  • In a nutshell:If you can afford it you really must visit the place
  • Last visit to Iceland: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2005

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Hi Steve....Great pages on my country. Always nice to see positive things about one's homeland. Brennivin is called Svartidaudi or Black Death, by us locals......good job mate!.....Erik

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 6:44 AM

Wow...your pictures are stunning!! My husband and I are visiting in July! I would love to see the inside of an ice cave. I thought I read somewhere that they were too dangerous to enter in the summer. Are you just really adventurous? :-)

• Niekie's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Wonderful Iceland page. Not many people get to see the waterfalls behind Skogafoss (I didn't), so thanks for sharing that picture.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2006 at 3:25 AM

enjoyed your page. I too dreamt for a long time of goig to Iceland and finally made it this year, the wait was worth it though

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Gosh, what an exciting trek you did !!! Iceland is on my wishlist, too, since ages, but it must be quite expensive. The island must be a place out of this world, with all the geologic and nature wonders ! Thanks for your page !! :-))

• Krumel's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2006 at 5:02 AM

Great diary of your trek, and wonderful pics. Always fancied visiting Iceland sometime, but haven't made it yet. Wouldn't fancy walking through freezing water though...

• sinequanon's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 2:54 AM

no, not here yet!

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 10:01 AM

Outstanding pages. It appears that you got intimate with the fascinating countryside.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 2:28 PM

What a wonderful trekking trip ypu had! And the pics of the landscape are just awesome. I enlarged all of them, it was really worth to do it!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 2:36 AM

Interesting travel page and pictures! Greetings!

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland