"zweiblumen's world" zweiblumen's Profile

Welcome to Steve's world of stuff

Welcome to my travel pages. I'm Steve: you are welcome to view my travel pages free of charge but all donations gratefully received ;-) .. sit yourself down; this is what I'm all about:

I love mountains and windswept bleak moorlands, I like getting away from the crowds and into the countryside.

I have a passion for the Falkland Islands, having spent fifteen months down there working at Mount Pleasant Airfield. I hope to be able to work there again sometime in the near future.

Here are my latest travel pages for those who are interested. November 2004 I enjoyed the trip of a lifetime (so far) to Costa Rica. In July 2005 I finally got to go to Iceland after years of wishing, thinking and looking at pictures of the place. Iceland at last! a few photos from my trip to Ranthambhore National Park in India. My 2006 trips have been to the Algarve May 2006 El Hierro Nov 2006
La Gomera Nov 2006 and Tenerife Nov 2006

White Storks

Taken on my trip to Portugal 2006.

Langur monkey and baby

Taken in Ranthambhore National Park, India 2005.

Meadow Pipit

Photo taken on the Island of Berneray, Western Isles, Scotland, July 2007.

Falkland Islands

I have done two tours of the Falkland Islands (I mean working not travelling). November 2000 - August 2001 when I worked as a PA for an RAF Wing Commander. Then January 2004 - July 2004 working as a works services clerk. My time in the Falklands although brief compared to other's time abroad has left me with a lasting impression. Nowhere have I felt so completely at home, so free and so alive. Maybe I will return there again, my dream would be to be able to retire and live there

Whale!

This was one of the most exciting moments of my life, the day I saw my first whale .. in fact to be accurate, whales, as I saw six this day. This was on Sea Lion Island in the Falklands and just before dawn. Read about it here: Sea Lion Island

Grey Squirrel

A photo taken in Hyde Park, London, May 19th 2007 during a picnic with friends.

2007 plans

At the end of February 2007 I quit my job of eighteen and a half years, it was voluntary redundancy but with compulsory redundancy terms.

I had been disillusioned with my job for a long time but the final straw was being demoted back to my previous grade after three years of temporary promotion. This was because the work in my previous job dried up (due to a change of working practice) and there was no longer a place for me, so I was moved to another department where there was work but not at my then current grade, so they demoted me and of course my salary suffered because of this.

I am currently studying an Open University Natural Sciences course and hope to get a certificate at the end of it, maybe go for a degree later .. if my brain hasn't been fried by then! I am finding it very interesting but very hard work! I have been out of education for so long that I have forgotten how to study and as I have never studied at this level before it's also quite stressful, but I am persevering.

I may buy myself a motor scooter to enable me to look for work further afield, I have a driving licence but I also have a phobia of driving, so buying a car is out of the question, two wheeled transport does not hold as much fear for me however, I have my eyes set on a nice little 100cc Peugeot scooter .. but I may change my mind yet!

Travel plans for 2007: March 17th - 19th I am spending three nights in the Shropshire hills at Church Stretton, this is my de-stressing mini-break. July 7th I fly to Edinburgh for a week's Open University science residential course, afterwards I will fly to Stornoway in the Western Isles for a further week exploring as much of the Hebrides as I can. October-November I am spending three weeks in Patagonia visiting Argentina, Chile and hopefully Uruguay

2008 plans

Get a ******* job!

2009 plans

See 2008 plans... went to Ireland, still not uploaded photos or tips... too lazy!

2011 plans... ha! Changed the direction of my degree, no longer studying Environmental Studies now working towards an honours degree in Social Sciences specialising in Geography. Get a job perhaps?!

• Intro Updated Aug 1, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!