"Venoth's Trip to Dumai." Dumai by venoth

Dumai Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 1 photos

Introduction

This weekend decided to try Dumai for a change as I was told it is quite near from Malaysia. I had two options, first was to either take a ferry from Port Klang or secondly to take a ferry from Melaka in Peninsular Malaysia. I decided to take the previous as it is closer for me.
Got my brother to send me to the ferry terminal. It was crowded. I already felt like I was in Indonesia. Bought the ferry ticket without a problem. Since I was a Malaysian, they had a special que for the Malaysians and I got my tickets pretty fast. It cost me RM 150 return ticket. As my ferry was only at 10.30am and I had reached there at 8 am, I had ample of time. The ferry terminal was not a fancy terminal like the one in Stulang Laut or in Batam. It is very basic in amenities and there was only one stall there. Had some nasi lemak and coffee.
As the time approached, decided to get across the Immigration counters. Once again, I was treated a as a royalty as I am a Malaysian. Only then i realized that there is only one ferry a day commuting between Port Klang and Dumai. Once crossed the Immigration, walked towards the ferry.
To my suprise, its a huge ferry and if im not mistaken, there was approximately 350 passengers in that ferry, double decker to be precise. Got on the ferry and it is an air conditioned ferry. With TV and even a small lounge which sells food and drinks. They ferry left on time and within an hour we were given a bottle of mineral water and a packet of rice with gravy. I wasn't too sure on the duration of the ferry but to my suprise it took 5 and a half hours to reach Dumai.
The entire journey was terrible and boring. After about half an hour, there would be no more mobile signals and you would not be able to make a call..even if it was an emergency. That frightened me.
Occasionally, I went to the open deck for a smoke. The Straits of Melaka looked so dirty and smelly with black sludge everywhere. When i finally reached Dumai, the port cum ferry terminal looked like how Malaysia was in the early 50's. Since i am a Malaysia, I got Visa on Arrival without a problem.
Once you are out of the ferry terminal, you would have lot of people coming to you and asking the same question..."WAnt a girl?" Just avoid these people and try to walk a little further to get a taxi which would be much cheaper. I tool a taxi to the hotel which I had already booked. The hotel is good. Its in fact the best hotel in Dumai. The entire journey to the hotel was nothing but roads with pot holes and filth all over.
Once i checked in to the hotel, i just relaxed in the room for a while and later started walking out in the streets. Dumai is only good for two things...if you are looking for girls or/and shopping. I did quite a lot of shopping and did check if there were any tourist destinations which I could go to within Dumai. They told me that the best place to go is Pekan Baru which is another 5 hours by road or Bukit Tinggi which is 13 hours by road. Since I was returning the next day, i dropped the whole idea.
By the time i finished my shopping was already night. Went back to the hotel, had my shower and decided to go deeper into the town. I was told that there is a small supermarket there by the name of Ramayana. Took a ojek...which is the local motorcycle taxi and went to the supermarket. I was shocked to see that garments were so cheap here. Did more shopping for the family, then back to Sudirman Street where my hotel is located. Went to Nasi Padang Pak Ali...then best in town and had a good dinner. Ate to all glory..hehehe.
Then, back to the hotel room and relaxed. The next morning, after breakfast, I had just enough time to head back to the ferry terminal for my return journey as the ferry from Dumai was at 11 am and I had to be at the terminal by 10.15 latest.
Took the ferry and back to Port Klang, Malaysia. AS you could see from all my other blogs, I love photography. This is the first location which I had gone with my camera and not taken a single photo...so you could imagine how the place was.

• Last visit to Dumai: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2010

Comments

venoth

“Travel as many countries as possible.”

Ranked Member