"INDIA" marieana's Profile

Mumbai

All started when my mum and I discovered that we had Indian origins, Tamil to be more precise...so we planned out our first trip with much excitement and apprehension. Off I go with selecting the places to visit in a very short time. Mumbai sounded nice to my ears...most of the people from my native country would visit because they are all attracted by textile products for their own business. We wanted it to be different.
We landed at 2.30 a.m, exhausted as we coulnd't sleep. We headed towards the prepaid taxi counter and would buy a ticket to our hotel. Price was fair, if you would take a cab on your own you would pay double the price. Here we are dear Ambassador, all those black and yellow cars aligned in a disciplined row awaiting us. Yes we were in India, my dream became true. The taxi drivers dressed in khaki uniforms as I saw in Hindustani films when I was a child. We would take a seat and the driver would lead the way...amazing , complete silence at night. I would have never imagined that Mumbai was that silent, some cars here and there , driving in the middle of the street...Tha taxi driver would stop at an old and rusty filling station, only one fuel dispenser working...and then from afar, I could distinguish some shapes on the ground...loads of bodies along the pavements, yes these were the untouchables I guess. I was filled with fear and anxiety, that was part of the scene...
Victoria railway station, the GPO, that was the area where we would be staying, the driver dropped us at our hotel which was just hiding behind some buildings. The situation was quite confusing, reaching there at night, the security guard leading us to the back gate,quick meeting with the manager and we were then shown our room hotel.
Wow, we wanted to rest so much ,we just lay down and slept like logs.Mum met for the first time the Asian bathroom...the shower plus the toilet and additional accesories which the plastic bucket and jug, I would have forgotten the special pipe for you to use as there was no toilet paper. We did brought some...
We spent 2 nights in Mumbai , we were awaken by a terrible noise, the horns and chotic traffic, we only enjoyed the place only when it was time to live for New Delhi.

DELHI THE DIVINE

Our flight was not that long, flying Kingfisher was a great experience, I don't remember if we were given Indian breakfast, a bit tight to taste this greasy ans salty buns and dholl in the early morning.Same routine, prepaid counter and we were later in Pahar Bang area. Our hotel was just great compared to the one we had in Mumbai...restaurants , caf├ęs and small shops all around, I really appreciated that area.A very quick walk would bring us to the different activities of the locals, from jalebi sellers to the henne artist, the scene was just too packed, you can find anything in India...
Our next destination would be Agra - Magnificent Taj by car. We left arount 5.30 a.m because it was Holi festival, we had to avoid traffic and the festival itself as we could have become dyed products. The car we had was a modern one as Indians would say, comfortable and fast I presume. At least two and a half hour drive to the moghul monument. We had breakfat and our driver was not that talkative. yes I confirm, once in India , you cannot expect to fall on a guide driver.He just drives and that's it. After that he drove us to the gate and we were welcomed by two Indians who wouldn't want us to walk, they brought us to the ticket counter with their bike-rickshaw, of coure we thanked them as it was Holi, they had their day.

• Intro Updated Apr 13, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
marieana's Profile Photo

marieana

“Travel broadens the mind On the go”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.