Newport Favorite Tips by Gypsystravels Top 5 Page for this destination
Newport Favorites: 51 reviews and 66 photos
Favorite thing: There is absolutely no photography allowed inside any of the mansions and the only exception is during the Christmas holiday season when you are allowed to photograph the Christmas trees in both The Breakers and Marble House and during the summer when photography is allowed in the Logia of The Breakers.
It is clearly stated that photography is prohibited indoors. Photography is permited of the exterior of the mansions including the many gardens and only if you are using the photos for personal use (copy rights).
Respect the rules and do not try to sneak in any pictures of the interior of the mansions.
Favorite thing: From my understanding RI does not have an official baseball team and this is evident as you will see the REDSOX emblems everywhere.
Ferni and I were walking from our hotel on America's Cup to the Bowens Wharf when we heard this cute little girl walking with her parents slightly ahead of us singing the "7th inning" stretch athem.
She absolutely blew us away as she started singing the song in it's entirety knowing all the words, and at the end....GO REDSOX, now that is a young fan :)
Favorite thing: Most people visit Newport to see the mansions, and why not? They are the result of wealth and oppulence during this nation's growth.
The three main mansions are quite stunning and retain most of their original furnishings. The mansions conduct tours and you are not allowed to see them on your own. There is no photography and no touching allowed.
I takes between 1-2 hours (depends if you visit the grounds) to see the parts of the mansions that are on view. If you plan your visit carefully, you can see quite a few of them in one day.
Fondest memory: I love wandering the beautiful rooms of all the mansions seeing things for the 8th or 9th time or even seeing them for the first time.
Favorite thing: If you plan to visit the mansions more than once a year, being a member of the Preservation Society is well worth the price. You are given the following benefits as a member:
Free and unlimited admissions to regular tours at all properties for one year.
One family pass to the Behind the Scenes Tour of the Elms
Front-of the line priveleges at all properties.
10% discount at all six Newport Mansion stores. Free/discounted admissions to special events.
Lunch priveleges at The Elms Carriage House.
The membership is tax deductible.
For more information about becoming a member, call (401-847-1000) or go on line www.NewportMansions.org
Prices are as follows:
Students : $35
Dual: $75 (two adults from the same household, no kids)
Household: $90 (2 adults and all kids or grandkids 17 & younger)
Favorite thing: Definitely stop in the visitor's center and pick up a map of Newport, get oriented with what you'd like to see and do, buy tickets to the various mansions and you can also purchase the trolley tickets here.
The visitor's center also sells postcards, souvenirs and other trinkets. During the peak summer season park your car here and just hop on the trolley, or better yet, walk.
Favorite thing: Newport is wonderful for walking. Exploring the wharfs, shopping or visiting the many mansions dotted around the city are best done on foot.
Favorite thing: Pack a little picnic and enjoy the beautiful scenery. During one of our visits in the winter, there were surfers out practicing their skills. During the summer you catch fisherman's casting their lines and you can also glimpse at people diving as well.
I love the beach, ocean and anything that has to do with water....an afternoon of just kicking back and gazing out yonder is a great way to relax.
More Reviews (101)
- See All Enjoying drinks and appetizers by the...
- See All Quite Birthday dinner
- See All Great birthday stay
- See All Bracelets - One of many birthday...
- See All The Great Friends Meeting House
- We pack lite for a weekend getaway!
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilded Age Mansions and More"
- "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- "Basaic Newport Page"
- "NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA"
- "Newport, Rhode island"
- "Newport, Rhode Island"
- "A few days in Newport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 113 Reviews
- 310 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
- Wrote a Review Enjoying drinks and appetizers by the fire about Five33 Lounge in Newport Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enjoying drinks and appetizers by the fire"
- updated a Newport Travel Page "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Gypsystravels's Newport travel pages
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (310)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 223 reviews, 589 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 113 reviews, 310 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 302 photos, 13 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 250 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 83 reviews, 246 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (165)
- The Breakers- 17 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Cliff Walk- 18 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Marble House- 8 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Rosecliff- 7 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Washington Square Historic District- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- The Mansions- 10 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Fort Adams- 9 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Kingscote- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- The Beaches of Newport- 4 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Bowen's Wharf- 4 Reviews, 11 Photos
See All Newport Things to Do