"Newport Mansions and So Much More!" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by Gypsystravels

Newport Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,463 photos

I fell in love my very first time

Mansions, mansions, and more mansions. I must admit, what first drew me to Newport isn't the reason why I continued to return. I have a passion for history, architecture and castles (or the equivalent of which would be Mansions in the states). It's a special place where I have felt comfortable, happy and at peace in and where I have rediscovered the pleasures of spending time with someone I love.

I had stayed away from Newport for a few years because I'd been too busy visiting other places in this beautiful world of ours, but when you love a city like I love Newport, you really can't stay away too long and the best part is that Ferni loves Newport just as much as I do. We enjoy visitng during the fall off season and during the Christmas season as well.

Newport has lost some of its small town charm, especially if you visit during the heavy summer season when hotels and crowds are to capacity, but this simple fact won't keep us away from Newport, we just visit during the off season when the crowds are minimal at best.

If you happen to find yourself in this part of the coutry, I would recommend a visit, even for a day. It's a wonderful place to explore winter, spring, summer or fall but our favorite time to visit is either in fall during peak fall foliage or winter when the town is decked out in all its Christmas glory.

Visiting any time of year

I've visited Newport during every season and anytime is a good time to visit, but I will admit that our favorite time is either late fall or winter. The peak summer season sees plenty of visitors which makes that the most crowded time of the year but it is also when all the mansions are open, and you can also enjoy this seaside community and all its wonderful beaches. The spring is a nice time to visit as well because the crowds are still small compared to the summer and you can enjoy nice weather. Then you have the fall with all the festivals and the beautiful change of season colors. Winter is very beautiful in Newport and our favorite time to visit. There aren't as many crowds and you can still see the three largest of the Preservation Society Mansion (which are open all year long) and when you can enjoy these mansions all wonderfully decorated for the Christmas season.

Recenlty, Ferni surprised me with a pre-birthday trip to Newport in early November. We stayed at one of our favorite hotels and did what we usually do, stroll around doing some shopping and spending time together. Our previous trip had been during the peak fall foliage season when we only visited The Elms and drove along Ocean Drive strolled around the city doing some shopping (always on my agenda) and of course just spending time with each other, what better way to see Newport than with your loved one. We've been lucky that on all of our visits to Newport we are blessed with fantastic sunny weather which makes those visits even more memorable. Anytime I spend with my love, just the two of us alone, I cherish and Newport makes it even more special. We both love Newport very much. It holds many wonderful memories, thoughts, ideas and discussions. Seems we are inspired whenever we visit Newport.

Since we both love Newport so much we are always making plans to come back and we paid a visit during the Christmas 2008 when Marble House, The Breakers and The Elms are open and decked out with their Christmas decorations.

In March 2009 we were back for yet another weekend getaway. We spend so much time in Newport that during this visit we talked about the possibility of finding a place to call our own. Don't know yet if that will happen, but it is always nice to dream, especially if you're sorrounded by the lovely homes of the "Big Dreamers" of Newport.

Great weekend getaway

Newport is a great city to visit especially during a long weekend and a great escape from NYC. Just about a 4 hour drive and you're in a different world. Ferni and I love getting in our car and just driving here and spending a very wonderful weekend. We visit so often that we purchase a yearly dual membership to the The Preservation Society of Newport County. It's a great way for us to return as many times as we do. Membership grants us free and unlimited admission to regular tours at all 11 Society properties along with discounts to their shops for a year.

• Pros:Our escape from NYC
  • Cons:Large crowds during summer months
  • In a nutshell:We love Newport, we definitely should have been born Vanderbilts!!
  • Last visit to Newport: May 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2012

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Your Newport page is growing and becoming so much more informative. So happy to see someone enjoy my home state so much as you do.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
      Feb 19, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Hi Janet, Thank you for your kind words. Newport is a special place for me. It's been some time since I was last there but I hope to re-visit in the next few months.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Rhode Island welcomes you.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I returned to see more of those comments and pictures of the great mansions. You did a wonderful job of presenting this city and its elegance.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for sharing the great tips and pics, Janet. We're heading to Newport in June and your info is really helpful in our planning. Tom

• Nov 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Nice tips and pictures. I love the design from your first page !

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:53 AM

I see you imagining this to by your very own cottage by the sea! You obviously are very taken w/ the mansions. They are certainly an astounding collection ... so glad they have been protected. Such a treasure.

• nativetraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Excellent pics and tips!

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 1:20 AM

hot pic.. take care

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Janet - Really like your pictures of Newport. Nice views. John and Gail in NJ - formerly from Hartford area.

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 6:33 AM

Love all your pictures! it's amazing the cities and stuff we have in the U.S. that we not always know about :o)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2008 at 6:33 AM

great tips Gypsy!

Gypsystravels Visits Here Frequently!

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in Newport

Have you been to Newport?

Latest Activity in Newport