"Newport Mansions and So Much More!" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by Gypsystravels
Newport Travel Guide: 504 reviews and 1,660 photos
Mansions, mansions, and more mansions. I must admit, what first drew me to Newport isn't the reason why I continued to return. I have a passion for history, architecture and castles (or the equivalent of which would be Mansions in the states). It's a special place where I have felt comfortable, happy and at peace in and where I have rediscovered the pleasures of spending time with someone I love.
I had stayed away from Newport for a few years because I'd been too busy visiting other places in this beautiful world of ours, but when you love a city like I love Newport, you really can't stay away too long and the best part is that my love enjoys Newport just as much as I do. We enjoy visitng during the fall off season and during the Christmas season as well.
Newport has lost some of its small town charm, especially if you visit during the heavy summer season when hotels and crowds are to capacity, but this simple fact won't keep us away from Newport, we just visit during the off season when the crowds are minimal at best.
If you happen to find yourself in this part of the coutry, I would recommend a visit, even for a day. It's a wonderful place to explore winter, spring, summer or fall but our favorite time to visit is either in fall during peak fall foliage or winter when the town is decked out in all its Christmas glory.
I've visited Newport during every season and anytime is a good time to visit, but I will admit that our favorite time is either late fall or winter.
As for visiting, the peak summer season sees plenty of visitors which makes that the most crowded time of the year, but it is also when all the mansions are open. During this summer season you can also enjoy the seaside community and all its wonderful beaches. The spring is a nice time to visit as well because the crowds are still small compared to the summer and you can enjoy some nice weather. Then you have the fall with all the festivals and the beautiful change of season colors. Winter is very beautiful in Newport and our favorite time to visit. There aren't as many crowds and you can still see the three largest of the Preservation Society Mansion (which are open all year long) and when you can enjoy these mansions all wonderfully decorated for the Christmas season.
Our most recent visit was during Thanksgiving 2014, which happens to coincide with my birthday :) So many exciting things happening in our lives this year, not to mention me celebrating my 50th birthday with a big party that we decided to keep our travels to someplace close and quite special to me.
As always, we do what we usually do, stroll around doing some shopping and spending time together, visiting the mansions and grabbing a few drinks and enjoying the festive ambiance. Our previous trip had been during the peak fall foliage season when we only visited The Elms and drove along Ocean Drive strolled around the city doing some shopping (always on my agenda) and of course just spending time with each other, what better way to see Newport than with your loved one. We've been lucky that on all of our visits to Newport we are blessed with fantastic sunny weather which makes those visits even more memorable. Anytime I spend with my love, just the two of us alone, I cherish and Newport makes it even more special. We both love Newport very much. It holds many wonderful memories, thoughts, ideas and discussions. Seems we are inspired whenever we visit Newport.
Since we both love Newport so much we are always making plans to come back.
Newport is a great city to visit especially during a long weekend and a great escape from NYC. Just under a 4 hour drive and you're in a different world. We love getting in our car and just driving here and spending a very wonderful weekend. We visit so often that we purchase a yearly dual membership to the The Preservation Society of Newport County. It's a great way for us to return as many times as we do. Membership grants us free and unlimited admission to regular tours at all 11 Society properties along with discounts to their shops for a year.
- Pros:Our escape from NYC
- Cons:Large crowds during summer months
- In a nutshell:We love Newport, we definitely should have been born Vanderbilts!!
The Five33 Lounge is the bar at the Hyatt at Goat Island here in Newport RI. The bar is cozy and a great place to grab a... more travel advice
- See All Bracelets - One of many birthday...
- See All Parking in Newport
- See All The Great Friends Meeting House
- We pack lite for a weekend getaway!
- Explore charming Wickford
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilded Age Mansions and More"
- "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- "Basaic Newport Page"
- "NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA"
- "Newport, Rhode island"
- "Newport, Rhode Island"
- "A few days in Newport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 113 Reviews
- 311 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yummy tacos and sangria"
- updated a Newport Travel Page "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- Wrote a Review Enjoying drinks and appetizers by the fire about Five33 Lounge in Newport Nightlife
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Gypsystravels's Newport travel pages
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (311)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 229 reviews, 600 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 113 reviews, 311 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 302 photos, 13 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 250 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 83 reviews, 246 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues