New York City Things to Do Tips by Gypsystravels Top 5 Page for this destination
New York City Things to Do: 5,440 reviews and 8,942 photos
Home to the world famous Rockettes, Christmas show, Easter show and every other large show. Christmas Shows are the best.
There is also a backstage tour. Tours conducted Mon-Sat 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun 11:00 am - 5:00 pm. Admission price is $15 per adult, $9 per children under 12.
Address: 6th Avenue and 47th - 50th Streets.
Other Contact: Subway B, D, F, Q to 47th-50th S
Chrysler Building at night
The Chrysler Building is a great example of art deco buildings in NYC. The building once was the tallest Skyscraper in NYC until the Empire State Building came along.
There are no tours allowed in the building but I do recall pre 9-11 indivuduals were permitted to get a glimpse of the marble walls and floors and the beautiful elevators.
Address: 405 Lexington Avenue
Directions: Midtown - Take the subway line 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd Street Grand Central Station stop.
Entrance to the exhibit
Caution, this exhibit is graphic and not everyone will appreciate the wealth of information and knowledge you get from visiting this exhibit.
Its an amazing exhibit with actual human specimens that allows everyone to get first hand knowledge and view the body as the medical professions view it. It is quite fascinating to see how smoking damages the lungs, and how cancer can ravage the body. You will also have the opportuny to see fetuses at different stages of developement. You'll see the bodies in different stages including the skeletal system, nervous system and even the muscles.
Check out their website, they currently have exhibits in many cities throughout the US (DC had an exhibit in May, and I believe its no longer there), and even in Barcelona Spain.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PHTOGRAPHY ALLOWED OF THE EXHIBIT
Address: 11 Fulton Street, 2nd Floor NYC
Directions: At the South Street Seaport Exhibition Centre
Kristara at the Great Hall
The Met, as it is commonly known, is world renowned for its wealth of art collections. I've been visiting the museum since childhood and continue to visit at least once a year. Some of my favorite exhibits are from their permanent collection like the Egyptian collection, the Renassaince painters, and of course their Arms & Armor. I am totally fascinated with ancient armory and will stop by and visit this exhibit every single time I find myself at the Met.
Also pay a visit to their Museum shop where you can purchase a poster of that famous painting by Degas, Picasso and the likes.
The Met is funded by charitable contributions and a entrance fee is suggested. Don't be a mizer, exhibits are costly to upkeep so donate no less than $5-10 per person.
Take a look at their website for new and exciting exhibits.
PLEASE NOTE: Photography (without flash please) and sketching are permitted in the permanent sections of the museum. If you aren't sure, ask one of the guards.
Address: 1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street
Directions: Take 4, 5, or 6 train to 86th Street and walk three blocks west to Fifth Avenue
My babe and the Brooklyn Bridge waterfall
Located along the East River is the Public Art Work by Olafor Eliasson, the Waterfalls. The four waterfalls are located strategically along the East River with views of all four of the waterfalls from the South Street Seaport.
The waterfalls are made of materials such as scaffolding which pump the water to a pool wich filters the water and pumps it directly to the top fo the fall then allowing the water to flow down like a waterfall.
You can hop on one of the many ferry rides along the river for up close views of the waterfalls.
PLEASE NOTE: - This special event/exhibit runs from June 26, 2008-October 13, 2008.
Directions: Along the East River
Dusk view of Jersey
Battery Park is a great place to stroll with great views of the Hudson River and Jersey City at the distance. The park has a few places to lounge and watch the world go by.
Recently we decided to spend a nice afternoon walking along Battery Park and just taking the nice views and weather. During our stroll we witnessed a women fishing on the Hudson River (yuk) and she was reeling in a fish, turns out it was actually a shark...I didn't know there were sharks in them there waters. It was a small shark, but a shark nonetheless...I wonder if she planned to eat it?
Directions: Take the 4 or 5 to Bowling Green Station or the N/R to South Ferry Station
Address: 19 Fulton Street, Second FloorNew York, NY 10038
Visit the world's largest Gothic Cathedral. Only two thirds complete (the first cornerstone was laid in 1892) it is not sure if it would ever be completed, (why rush, the ones in Europe took centuries), due admire the tremendous interior length, exceeding two football fields and the beautiful stained glass windows. Oh, while you are here, why not listen to a mass, or do some praying?
Directions: Amsterdam Ave at 112th Street. Take the subway line 1, 9 to Cathedral Parkway and 110th Street.
Other Contact: 212-316-7540
My boyfriend and I like variety in out life. After dinner and/or drinks we'll get out and try something we don't usually do often, namely ice skating.
Ice skating is lot of fun (but not when you fall on your butt, ouch)!! The Wollman Rink at Central Park is a fun place to go ice skating. Their hours and prices are reasonable. If you are a bit challenged with skating, they have a skating school. You can also have an event or party at the rink.
Spending a few hours skating in the beautiful park like setting is very romantic.
Address: Central Park
Catch one of the many Broadway shows. They have a large variety of productions going on at all times. I recommend some of their classics like "Phantom of the Opera, Chicago" and some of the new productions like "Jersey Boys, Grease, Mamma Mia, Cat on the Hot Tin Roof"
The last Broadway show I saw was "Spamolot" (before Clay Aiken joined). It was quite good and we had a good laugh.
Address: Broadway and 40's
More Reviews (183)
- See All Cheap date night with the girls
- See All Farewell drinks for a co-worker
- See All The Grand Dame of NYC!
- See All Admiral's Club at LaGuardia Airport
- See All Cheap long term parking - Smart Park
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 204 Reviews
- 491 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 342 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Commented on one of Gypsystravels's New York City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cheap date night with the girls in New York City Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Pan Asian"
- updated a New York City Travelogue "The Intrepid up the Hudson River 2012"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: If You had to Choose......."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 204 reviews, 513 photos, 12 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 294 photos, 13 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 252 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 105 reviews, 245 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 75 reviews, 224 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (150)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Times Square- 267 Reviews, 412 Photos
- Central Park- 401 Reviews, 720 Photos
- Empire State Building- 369 Reviews, 603 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 404 Reviews, 641 Photos
- Rockefeller Center- 211 Reviews, 362 Photos
- South Street Seaport- 68 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Wall Street- 139 Reviews, 237 Photos
- Chinatown- 103 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Ground Zero - World Trade Center- 152 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 183 Reviews, 321 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do