"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART" Top 5 Page for this destination New York City by Gypsystravels

New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos

New York City the Gypsy Way

I'm a Native New York "Latina". Born and raised in the "City" by Puerto Rican parents. Referred to as a Nuyorican, I'm proud to live in this wonderful, diverse city.

It's the largest city in the United States with over 17 million residents and over a million visitors each year. An exciting city to live in and for the visitor as well.

New York City has it all, musuems, fine dining, theatre, nightlife and of course, shopping to please anyone!!

I live, work and play here, and why not? Step out of my apartment and I can find everyting I want and need.

So, pack those bags, hop on a plane and come on over to the largest most exciting city in the U.S. NEW YORK CITY!!!

I am constantly updating and adding new tips to this page, especially in the Restaurant and Nightlife tips and have decided to have those tips listed first, so stay tuned as I will be listing these tips by district/region/area of NYC.

In the City That Never Sleeps

I've decided to limit most of my tips to the restaurant, nightlife and off the beaten path because those interested in a how-to guide, trip report or a travel reference can easily find those answers in a guide book.

I have, however, included some of my "must sees" in NYC although somewhat bit limited.

I've been to thousands of restaurants in NYC, and although I can easily write as many tips about those places (like the HRC, and the likes, etc.) I have decided to limit myself to places that aren't mentioned here on vt, places that I enjoy often enough to write a review about and places that I find myself recommending to other VT'rs searching for that type of restaurant. So, whether its a 5 star restaurant or an excellent hole in the wall, you'll probably find it here on my pages!! Enjoy!!

MY NYC..

I am a self proclaimed foodie and nightlife junkie. I enjoy meeting friends, family or loved ones for dinner, drinks or a night out dancing. NYC is constantly changing and as such so are the many venues for dinnig and entertainment. I love sharing my love of restuarants and nightlife with others. Even though I have my own favorite "hidden" haunts, nothing in NYC is a secret!! :) I love going out and finding new places whether its a fine restauarant or a hole in the wall I've been lucky as well where the word of mouth has lead me to discover many of the restaurants I've dined in. Many of friends like trying out new restaurants from some of the the greatest chefs in NYC as well and I get a full restaurant review from them. So, even if I've not been yet, be assured I will be.

There will be times where no pic will accompany my tip simply because I'm out enjoying my meal (or find it rude to snap a pic while others are eating). Nonetheless, whenever possible I'll try posting a pic with the tip.

I've included a short list of some restaurants I frequent and have chosen not to write tips about. You can find some helpful and accurate tips here on vt about them:

Agozar - Cuban, A nice place we discovered while searching for AA Idines. Has become a place for many VT Meetings.

Le Entrecote - French, located right outside my doorstep with some great Pomme Frites and Entrecot.

Wu Liang Ye - Chinese, another place I've frequented while working in the area.

Xunta Tapas Bar - Spanish Tapas, many VT Meetings have been held here, and some quick get toghers as well.

Layla - Mediteranean, location of one of my earliest VT Meetings.

Veleska - Ukranian, location of my first Flyertalk NYC DO.

If you are looking for a special place to dine or some particular type of dining experience, feel free to contact me.

If you happen to be in NYC during Restaurant Week held twice yearly (January and June/July) you'll have the unique experience of sampling some of NYC's best restaurants at a fraction of the cost. The menus may be limited, but nonetheless probably an excellent meal at a top notch restaurant.

• Pros:The city that has it all!!
  • Cons:Too many restaurants and nightlife in one lifetime you could never enjoy them all
  • In a nutshell:I was born and raised in the best city in the World
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Hi Janet, I enjoyed reading your Things to Do tips on New York. I spent four years in NYC because I went to college there, but that was a long time ago. How have you been? Do you plan to come to Europe again sometime?

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
      Aug 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Hi Don, thank you for your kind words....I really need to update so many of my tips, but I just don't have the time that is require :( All has been great, busy at work and a little travel...heading to some exciting places this fall though, but unfortunately, Europe will wait til beginning of next year. I'll be relocating so I do plan to do some extensive traveling before the move. I'll keep you posted.

• Mar 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM

is their any bus sevice from jfk airport, newyork to hartford, connecticut

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Hi, what a pity that I haven't found your N.Y pages before my trips. Next time I prepare better and search all your tips in advance. Thank you!

• Jun 16, 2012 at 6:51 AM

New York is amazingly beautiful.However they are still not exposed to marijuana.Local medical marijuana dispensaries are not allowed.One day new yorkers wouldn't think marijuana is a taboo instead it's an herb that helps patient who are in pain.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Your NY pages are great again, but you have not answered my qestion "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?" or is this qestionn an old joke only? L.

• wheretonext...'s Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2011 at 8:50 AM

OK, NYC here we come!! Next week... Oct 2011. Gypsytravels, you have given things a whole new life. I too am a rambless.... lol, so I need to get my sister on board.... She and I and our two grown girls... I have sent them all your link. Thanks for all the tips, hole in the wall places, jazz underground, and the numerous insight to your great city! Can't wait... :}

• Littlestarrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Hi there gypsytravels, im a newbie but came upon your page and love it so thought id leave a comment and make a new friend

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Okay, okay, I'm finally coming to the States and, in particular, New York because of a special deal I got in Orlando. Hope it all lives up to your efferevescent comments. Cheers.

• Erika74's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM

The Mojito is my favorite

• mz_travels's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hello! We will be coming to NYC at the beginning of June. We actually will be staying in Newark. What is the best way to get to NYC for family travel?

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?