"Historical Town" Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz by Gypsystravels
New Paltz Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 292 photos
While doing research for a State University in New York for Kristara (one that would offer her the curriculum she was interested in studying), I came across New Paltz. I will admit I knew very little of this town before then.
Located in the foothills of the Shawangunk Ridge, New Paltz is a very historical town. With its history dating back as early as the 1600’s when the French Huguenots were seeking religious freedom from Europe. They were one of the first settlers in New Paltz and established a community in 1678 of Stone Houses. There are six Stone Houses and they can all be found HUGUENOT STREET. The Stone Houses were named a National Historical Landmark and are currently preserved by the Historical Society.
According to what I have read about the history of New Paltz, many genealogists believe that one particular family the “DuBois’” “were so prolific that one person out of six in America are descendants of this family”. Can you imagine that??
Amazingly, other than history, this town has so much to offer. You can visit many of the area vineyards and wineries, (there is even a wine trail you can follow), antique shopping, hiking, (the Rail Trail, Monhonk) biking, or just enjoying a quite stroll in town. .
Many visit New Paltz as a jumping ground to the Mohonk Reserve. For further information about New Paltz you can surf over to www.newpaltzcamber.org .
At this "Market" you can find a variety of antiques shops. I usually go straight to the jewelry or the china. On this... more travel advice
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
New Paltz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TIE DYE, TREES, BEER, FOOD, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED"
- "No words to describe New Paltz"
- "Historical Town"
- "A Day at Mohonk Mountain"
- "New Paltz -A surprisingly nice place to visit."
- "New Paltz"
- "New Paltz lover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Paltz
- Hotels in New Paltz
- Transportation in New Paltz
- Nightlife in New Paltz
- Restaurants in New Paltz
- Shopping in New Paltz
- Warnings and Dangers in New Paltz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in New Paltz
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to New Paltz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Paltz
Photos in New PaltzSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 204 reviews, 513 photos, 12 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 294 photos, 13 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 252 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 105 reviews, 245 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 75 reviews, 224 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 4 travelogues