"I was born in this town...." Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn by Gypsystravels

Brooklyn Travel Guide: 355 reviews and 752 photos

Growing up Brooklyn

It is said that if Brooklyn were a city it would be the FOURTH largest only after NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago. Now that is big. With a population of over 2.3 million people, Brooklyn has large diverse and ethnic communities.

It is here where my parents settled when they came from Puerto Rico and where I was born. Brooklyn was an excellent place to grow up and I have some wonderful memories as a child.

Happy Memories

I have so many wonderful memories of growing up in Brooklyn. It is here where I lived most of my childhood. I recall Brooklyn with fond thoughts of the wonderful parties, Christmas, the outings but mostly of my mom and pop. As I got a bit older, playing stickball and dodgeball, run-catch-and-kiss, spin the bottle and handball.

We lived in a Brownstone in Parkslope just a block from Prospect Park. I spent many days playing on the streets of our block or just hanging out at the park.

Day trips to Coney Island, the Aquarium, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Garden were a yearly adventure for us.

Check out my travelogue for photos of my childhood

My tips on Brooklyn

I will refer to most of my tips with fond memories of my experiences while I lived in Brooklyn during my youth. Although I no longer live in this fabulous borough, I do visit often and have decided to write tips about the wonderful places and personal experiences visiting some of the best places here in Brooklyn.

All the information I provide is recent (2008) unless otherwise stated. I hope you enjoy reading my tips which I have worked on with a bit of nostalga for Brooklyn.

• Pros:Wonderful childhood memories
  • Cons:I no longer live here
  • In a nutshell:Close to my current home, I visit often
  • Last visit to Brooklyn: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2008

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Spent alot of time in Brooklyn as a child - my grandmother still lives there. Sad to read about the state of the aquarium, agree about Grimaldi's! Nathan's is still one of my favorites!! Great tips - lots of places I have not been to yet.

• Mar 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM

truly an experience! There from CT today to celebrate 3 Mar b'days, and what a celebration it was! Otto: a wonderful waiter-- has been there 47 yrs! Just sit, relax, and take time to enjoy the unbelieveable food. FYI: Fantastic salmon in a steak house!

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM

I missed seeing those places, well next time maybe.. Thank you for the great tips! greetings from Sofia

• Gypsy11215's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Is anyone interested in why the Empire State Building is framed by the Arch and why its tower bisects the Arch and Fountain?

• nativetraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Mi Amor...que bonitos recuerdos y homenaje and tu mami...entiendo mas porque la quieres and extranas tanto!! Fue una buena mama!! Beso!

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in Brooklyn

Have you been to Brooklyn?