Boston Transportation Tips by Gypsystravels Top 5 Page for this destination

Boston Transportation: 272 reviews and 239 photos

As usual, figuring out my walking route - Boston

As usual, figuring out my walking route

Walking, the best way to explore Walking Review

Walking is our preferred way to exploring a city. I do love to walk and exploring a city by foot is the best way to see as much or as little as we want. We can do a bit of shopping, grab a drink or something to eat, explore some history or just enjoy ourselves with no agenda in mind or some unexplored off the beaten path locations.

Ferni and I always include some amount of walking when we visit any city. On our most recent trip we limited our walks to the downtown area of Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, but duirng our previous trisp we did do a bit more walking....we did our own walking tour starting from our hotel Downtown and making our way to Fenueil Hall/Quincy Market, across to the waterfont and off to North End for some much needed lunch.

My travel partners will agree that I'm relentless when it come to walking...it's just the way I like to explore a city!!

• Updated Jan 25, 2013
One of the "T" stations - Boston

One of the "T" stations

Gettng by on the T T / subway Review

One of the best things about a metropolitan city is its network of public transporation. With the oldest subway system in the country, you can't go wrong riding the "T".

The "T" is a great way to get around Boston. The subway consists of four lines - Green, Orange, Blue, Red and all togehter cover most of the city and the immediate suburbs.

Living in a city like New York, I am use to riding the public transportation and find the "T" to be efficient and easy to navigate. One thing though, the "T" stops running after 12:30 am at some stations and up to 1:30 am you may be able to get on.

Make sure to know your designation, your line and the time schedule, occassionaly a bit off.

Phone: www.mbta.com

Type: Train

• Updated Jan 25, 2013
Driving Driving Review

Driving to Boston is quite easy for us, but getting around Boston is a bit tricky. Many people would recommend parking your car someplace central and then taking the T or walking, as the driving in Boston can be problematic with finding parking as well as some congestion due to contruction you may encounter not to mention the horrible drivers.

We usually drive from New York City to Boston and don't have a problem navigating our way around the city, but we prefer to leave the car parked at the hotel or at an inexpensive parking lot and using the T to get around. Finding a place to park your car that won't cost a bomb is pretty hard to find, so do your homework ahead of time to find a place that is both convenient and within your budget.

Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Feb 3, 2010
Riding a Carriage during St. Patrick's Day - Boston

Riding a Carriage during St. Patrick's Day

Carriage Rides

We saw a couple of these carriages in a few locations, namly in the area of State street near the Black Rose as well as near the aquarium. I can't actually tell you how much you would pay to ride one here in Boston, but I would say they are somewhere along the lines of about $40-$60 her hour (?)

If you'd like to explore Boston in a different way and on a more personal and leisurely manner you many want to consider hopping a ride on one of these carriages.

• Updated Feb 3, 2010
Ferni purchasing our Charlie Card - Boston

Ferni purchasing our Charlie Card

Purchasing your T tickets T / subway Review

If you are visiting Boston and plan to use the T then purchasing a stored value Charlie Card is probably the way to go. There are vending machines in every station and its quite easy to use the machines. There are a few different type of cards, depending on your usuage you may want to purchase an all day/one day Charlie Card which will cost you $9. If you plan to to use it one way directions, then the per ride price is now $2.00.

Ferni and I found the machines to be easy to use and if you use it per ride, you can both use the same card, just put the amount you want on the card.

Type: Train

• Updated Feb 1, 2010
Sign outside Penn Station, NYC - Boston

Sign outside Penn Station, NYC

Megabus Bus Service Review

There are many choices of arrival into Boston from NYC, and the bus seems to be one of the more economical ways, especially with the price of gas these days.

We wanted to visit Boston from NYC but didn't want the added expense or headache of driving on this particular tip, so we checked around for our options. I had heard so much about the Megabus on commericals and advertisements on the subway back home, so I decided to check it out.

We were very, very happy with our experience on the Megabus. Purchase of your boarding ticket is highly suggested (we got ours on line) and although they can accommodate you if you miss your original time slot (I asked), don't count on it especially on weekends when the buses are normally full.

The buses are quite new, very clean and efficient. They depart on time, so make sure to arrive at least 1/2 prior to departure. The seats are comfy and the ride was smooth.

The Megabus has service from NYC Penn Station to Boston South Station a few times daily and prices range from $1 to $30.

We paid roundtrip for two adults $16 total (yes, you heard right!), cheaper than a few gallons of gas these days :)

The Megabus also services a few other great cities. Check out their website for pricing, routes and booking information.

Mode: TO

Type: Bus

Website: http://www.megabus.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Nov 5, 2008
Old Trolley Bus Tour - Boston
Old Trolley Bus Tour Trolley Tours Review

I have not personally taken a Trolley Tour Bus in Boston or in any city (other than San Francisco and Newport), simply put, I prefer to walk. But the Trolley Tour Bus seems to be a perfect way to navigate your way around the "must see" sights if you have a limited time or have small children!!

While on my last visit I inquired about the services and this is what I found out :
This particular trolley tour takes you to over 100 points of interest, allows you to hop on and hop off at 17 designated locations, the full tour from start to finish is about 1 hour 45 minutes, free admission to the State House Museum and comes with a "free day planner guide" which normally costs $8.

Prices: $30.60 for adults
$11.70 for children 3-12 (children under 3 ride free)
$27.90 for seniors

For more information check out their website

Phone: 1-800-213-2474

Website: http://www.trustedtours.com/store/category2.aspx?SID=5&Category_ID=103

• Updated Nov 5, 2008
Getting around quickly Taxi Cabs Review

Around Boston you will find may taxi's. We parked our car at an inexpensive parking garage (more on that later) and taxi'd our way around town.

The taxis are pretty inexpensive and fast and easy to get around town, especially if you are getting ready to go out for dinner or a night out on the town.

A girl can only walk so much, especially if she is walking around the city in "4 inch heels" (wink)...

Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Sep 1, 2006
Can you say "Quack, Quack" - Boston

Can you say "Quack, Quack"

The Duck Tours - Yikes!! Duck Tours Review

The Duck Tours offer guided tours of Boston and "what makes Boston the birthplace of freedom and the city of firsts".

The lines were pretty long to get on one of these and I did notice that the majority of the people waiting to get on the tour were families with small children, young teens and some older folks.

It is a bit pricey, but if you have a limited time to see Boston, why not? Prices are $26 per adult, $23 for students/seniors, and $17 for children between the ages of 3-11.

Me, nah, I didn't (and probably wouldn't) get on one of these. Espeically in a city like Boston, a walkable city.

Website: http://www.bostonducktours.com

• Updated Sep 1, 2006

Gypsystravels Visits Here Frequently!

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in Boston