Budapest Favorite Tips by Gypsystravels Top 5 Page for this destination
Budapest Favorites: 517 reviews and 830 photos
The Baptist of Vajk - Gyula Benczur
Telephone Box at Old Town
Favorite thing: Okay, so I actually didn't use this phone booth since my cell is world wide and no need for it. However, I did find it to be useful for those inviduals who need to make a call outside of Budapest.
The phone box seemed quite easy to use wheter you use coins or a telephone card.
Favorite thing: Do some research before you travel. A well informed traveler is a safe traveler. I have traveled to many countries of which many have been alone. Not once have I had any problems with either the locals or other travelers.
Reading a bit of the history of the country you are visiting will definitely allow you to have a better experience. Knowing a bit of the transporation system and pinpointing the places you'll like to visit will definitely help you have the best trip ever.
Favorite thing: The local currency is the Hungarian Forint. The notes come in denominations of 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, 20000. The coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 forints.
At the time of my visit the exchange rate was about 170 HUF to $1 (US).
Hungary was a fantastic deal for my money, especially since the US dollar is taking a beating from the Euro and the British Pound.
Taking a break during a walk around Budapest
Favorite thing: What better way to spend a day than walking around a new city. I love taking my time stopping to look at interesting buildings, people going about their day, children playing, pets running in the park and doing some shopping at the intesting shops along the way.
Budapest is a great city to walk in. By city standards it is quite compact and easy to navigate.
Building near Castle District with Grafetti
Favorite thing: You would think that living in NYC all my life and seeing grafitti before that this wouldn't have surprised me, but on the contrary. Throughout the many years of my travels and the many countries I have visited, I have never seen so much grafetti.
There was grafetti everywhere and at one point I couldn't but help wonder why the City of Budapest has not taken action to clean up the many buildings that are defaced by this grafetti.
Favorite thing: While I was walking around one evening on Vaci I heard some wonderful music from the distance. The music had a wonderful melody with flutes and chimes so I followed the music and was pleasantly surprised.
The musicians where dressed in Indian attire. From what I could gather, it was more like Native South American wear. The music was so lovely and there was a large crowd gathered around them. Apparently they also have their music recorded for sale.
Favorite thing: "The whole city in your pocket" is the motto of the Budapest Card, introduced by our office in 1997. The Card offers its holder more than a hundred services:
unlimited travel on public transport
free or discounted entry to 60 museums and to several sights
sightseeing tour for half price
reduced price tickets for cultural and folklore programmes
discounts in restaurants and spas
discount for car rental, sports facilities and in many other places
travel accident insurance
The services of the card are detailed in a 100-paged, coloured publication in Hungarian, English, German and Italian languages. This publication introduces the use of the Budapest Card and the servicing enterprises. (with photo, address, opening hours, entrance fees and discounts). Click on the picture to download the brochure in PDF format (6.9 MB).
for 48 or 72 hours
Price in 2008:
HUF 6 5000 for 48 hours
HUF 8 000 for 72 hours
Each Card is valid for one adult and one child up to 14 years of age.
More than 250 places in Budapest: main metro ticket offices, tourist information bureaus, travel agencies, hotels and the airport, and abroad at major tour operators.
INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THE OFFICIAL TOURISTICAL WEBSITE OF BUDAPEST.
More Reviews (87)
- See All Bridgehead of Chain Bridge
- See All Great Ambiance
- See All Shinny Horse Balls
- See All Know before you go!
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Huanghuacheng Hotels
- Desert Hot Springs
- Roodepoort Hotels
- Vila do Conde
- Glenwood Springs
- Mission Viejo Hotels
- Montgomery Hotels
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 102 Reviews
- 271 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 204 reviews, 513 photos, 12 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 294 photos, 13 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 252 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 105 reviews, 245 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 75 reviews, 224 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (149)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Budapest hotel reviews
- Boat Hotel Fortuna
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Queen's Court Hotel & Residence Budapest
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- City Centre Apartments
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- K+K Hotel Opera
- 887 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Central Dominik Pension
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Danubius Hotel Gellert
- 441 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Carlton Hotel Budapest
- 366 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Ibis Budapest Aero Hotel
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Golden Park Hotel
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Ambra Club Hotel Budapest
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Castle Garden
- 304 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Goat Hostel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Astoria City Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Omnibusz Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- easyHotel Budapest Oktogon
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Buda Castle - Budavar- 261 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Szechenyi Bath - Szechenyi furdo- 60 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Heroes' Square - Hosok tere- 130 Reviews, 283 Photos
- St. Stephen's Basilica - Szent Istvan Bazilika- 130 Reviews, 302 Photos
- Fisherman Bastion - Halaszbastya- 163 Reviews, 332 Photos
- Market Hall - Grand Market Hall - Nagyvasarcsarnok- 45 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Parliament - Orszaghaz- 161 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Gellert Hill - Gellert Hegy - Citadella- 103 Reviews, 213 Photos
- Synagogue - Dohány Street Central Synagogue- 67 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Mathias Church - Mátyás-templom- 103 Reviews, 208 Photos
See All Budapest Things to Do