"Carlisle" Carlisle by Gypsystravels
Carlisle Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 84 photos
Dominating the borders of England and Scotland, Carlisle was a very important city during the middle ages.
Historically, whoever held Carlisle could influence the destinies of both England and Scotland. The Roman Governor Agricola arrived intent on keeping the Scots at bay. The Emperor Hadrian followed and contructed his 80 mile Hadrian Wall. It was the domain of King Arthur, whilst during the period of the Scots occupation, its ruler was Macbeth.
With so much history, Carlisle is a big destination stop for many travellers on their way to either the Lake District or to Scotland.
My boyfriend at the time, Mark, had a home here in Carlisle and he wanted me to see his country of England. So, during our very first trip together he brought me to England to see his home in Carlisle while exploring some other wonderful gems
We started our trip in London. I have never been to London before this first trip and so we decided to spend two days here before heading to Lincolnshire to attend a wedding of a very good friend of his. We continued on to York before journeying onwards to Carlisle where we spent a few days with his family. We based ourselves in Carlisle for day trips to the Lake District and Edinburgh. On our way back to London before getting our our flights back home we payed a visit to Brighton where we did some exploring and spend the night before our trip back home.
There is so much so see in this small town. The beautiful church, the castle, Hadrians wall are just a few of the must sees in this town.
- Pros:Beautiful small historic border city
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Carlisle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlisle - Border Town"
- "The Border City"
- "Around Carlisle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlisle
- Hotels in Carlisle
- Transportation in Carlisle
- Restaurants in Carlisle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlisle
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Carlisle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlisle
Photos in CarlisleSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 206 reviews, 515 photos, 12 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 294 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 110 reviews, 292 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 251 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 82 reviews, 245 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues