"Carlisle" Carlisle by Gypsystravels

Carlisle Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 84 photos

The Great Border City

Dominating the borders of England and Scotland, Carlisle was a very important city during the middle ages.

Historically, whoever held Carlisle could influence the destinies of both England and Scotland. The Roman Governor Agricola arrived intent on keeping the Scots at bay. The Emperor Hadrian followed and constructed his 80 mile Hadrian Wall. It was the domain of King Arthur, whilst during the period of the Scots occupation, its ruler was Macbeth.

With so much history, Carlisle is a big destination stop for many travelers on their way to either the Lake District or to Scotland.

Why I visited Carlisle

My boyfriend at the time of my visit had a home here in Carlisle and wanted me to see a little part of his home town. So during our first trip together we decided to see a bit more of England and based ourselves in his home here in Carlisle and explore some other wonderful gems around the area.

We started our trip in London as I had never been before this trip (2002). We spent two days in London, then on to Lincolnshire (to attend a wedding) before making our way to York then on to Carlisle where we based ourselves for doing day trips to the Lake District and Edinburgh.

Before heading home, we decided to make a stop in Brighton where we spent the night before returning home.

What to see

There is so much so see in this small town. The beautiful church, the castle and Hadrians wall are just a few of the must sees here.

• Pros:Beautiful small historic border city
  • Last visit to Carlisle: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2016

• Dec 7, 2004 at 9:24 AM

Hi Janet, its very true, we sometimes miss what is important and as you said Carlisle !! has played an important role in English History. Very nice page, greeings from Martin

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 7:35 AM

Passed through Carlisle hundreds of times - what have I missed!?

• Krystynn's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2003 at 12:02 AM

Nice great border city. Pls show us more?? ;-) Looks like u had a great time here....

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in Carlisle

Have you been to Carlisle?

Latest Activity in Carlisle