"Carlisle" Carlisle by Gypsystravels
Carlisle Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 84 photos
Dominating the borders of England and Scotland, Carlisle was a very important city during the middle ages.
Historically, whoever held Carlisle could influence the destinies of both England and Scotland. The Roman Governor Agricola arrived intent on keeping the Scots at bay. The Emperor Hadrian followed and constructed his 80 mile Hadrian Wall. It was the domain of King Arthur, whilst during the period of the Scots occupation, its ruler was Macbeth.
With so much history, Carlisle is a big destination stop for many travelers on their way to either the Lake District or to Scotland.
My boyfriend at the time of my visit had a home here in Carlisle and wanted me to see a little part of his home town. So during our first trip together we decided to see a bit more of England and based ourselves in his home here in Carlisle and explore some other wonderful gems around the area.
We started our trip in London as I had never been before this trip (2002). We spent two days in London, then on to Lincolnshire (to attend a wedding) before making our way to York then on to Carlisle where we based ourselves for doing day trips to the Lake District and Edinburgh.
Before heading home, we decided to make a stop in Brighton where we spent the night before returning home.
There is so much so see in this small town. The beautiful church, the castle and Hadrians wall are just a few of the must sees here.
- Pros:Beautiful small historic border city
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Carlisle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlisle - Border Town"
- "The Border City"
- "Around Carlisle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlisle
- Hotels in Carlisle
- Transportation in Carlisle
- Restaurants in Carlisle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlisle
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Carlisle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlisle
Photos in CarlisleSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 229 reviews, 600 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 113 reviews, 311 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 302 photos, 13 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 250 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 83 reviews, 246 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues