El Yunque National Forest Things to Do Tips by Gypsystravels
El Yunque National Forest Things to Do: 31 reviews and 86 photos
El Yunque is the only rainforest in the U.S. National Forest System. Comprised of some 240 different species of trees, it is actually a series of forests, each one determined by its altitude.
More than 100 billion gallons of precipitation fall each year which creates the jungle-like ambience of lush foliage, sparkling leaves, shining wet rocks, and shadowy paths occasionally pierced by sunlight.
Spectacular waterfalls rush alongside its well-maintained (but slippery) trails.
It is here where you will hear the the noisy, ubiquitous tree frog, el coqu?. No one really knows how many species there are. This little tree frog is very elusive, but you'll hear them here for sure. This is also home to the endangered Puerto Rican parrot.
The best way to see the forest is on foot. You can also appreciate it during a slow drive up and down the mountain. Exploring can be done on your own or take a guided tour.
I love my visits to the rain forest, walking along the many hiking paths and enjoying the cold waterfalls is a nice way to spend a hot day.
Directions: From San Juan take Road 26 towards Carolina until you reach Road 3. Take Road 3 towards Fajardo for about 20 minutes until you get to Rio Grande. Take Road 191 to El Yunque.
Phone: (787) 888-1880-1880
More Reviews (5)
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
El Yunque National Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tower, Flowers, Dams and Waterfalls"
- "Jumping Around El Yunque Rainforest!"
- "OF COURSE WE WENT HIKING"
- "El Yunque National Forest"
- "Big Chocharillas"
- "Puerto Rico's Natural Side"
- "El Parque Nacional Caribeño"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Yunque National Forest
- Hotels in El Yunque National Forest
- Transportation in El Yunque National Forest
- Restaurants in El Yunque National Forest
- Shopping in El Yunque National Forest
- Warnings and Dangers in El Yunque National Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Yunque National Forest
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to El Yunque National Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Yunque National Forest
Photos in El Yunque National ForestSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 206 reviews, 515 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 302 photos, 13 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 110 reviews, 292 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 250 photos, 8 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 83 reviews, 246 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues