"Flying down Sydney Way..." Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney by Gypsystravels

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,887 reviews and 13,864 photos

Sights and sounds of Sydney

Although Sydney (Australia in general) had been on my list of places to visit I wasn't sure I wanted to go when I was invited because we would only have 5 short days to explore this far away city. I didn't think I wanted to travel more than 19 hours from NYC for such a short time in Sydney, but I was convinced, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to visit at the time I did. I am currently planning another trip to Sydney on my way to the Barrier Reef. Can't wait to visit with some Aussie friends while I'm there.

Cosmopolitan Sydney

I loved Sydney and felt right at home. You'll find some of the friendliest people around along with fantastic weather and beautiful sites.

During our short stay we visited the Opera House, The Rocks & Circular Quay, Taronga Zoo (more on that in the tips section), Chinatown, Darling Harbor, The Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain (with it's bats) and side trips to Manly Beach and Watson's Bay.

UNICEF BUDDY BEARS

During our visit in March 2006 the UNICEF BUDDY BEARS were in town.

The UNICEF BUDDY BEARS are a gathering of international ambassdors who have come together to promote peaceful co-existence on behalf of the chidren of the world.

Each bear represents one of the countries that belogns to the United Nations and painted by a famous artist from its own country.

Check out my Buddy Bear travelogue to view a few of the bears and to find out the artist's interpretation of each of the bears. Have fun!!

• Pros:Weather, Sites, People
  • Cons:None
  • Last visit to Sydney: Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2013

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

We are looking into a possible trip. Thanks for the tips and you have very good pictures and comments.

• Jan 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Brilliant clothing list for Sydney! Thanks a lot :) Very helpful!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Excellent tips and photos on Sydney. Love your Koala photo, so lucky to get him head on, usually they are a fury ball. Haven't been to the Botanic gdns, they look good by your photos.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Superb page, I lived in Sydney for my first 27 years & you have captured the city extremely well. Went to school opposite the Opera House, appreciate harbour & city views. Visit Hamilton Island when on Barrier Reef.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Janet, do you realise you are #1 on the Sydney pages!?! Well done, and great photos! Australia Square is a better restaurant than Centrepoint Tower (AMP). ;) Good choice! Cheers, Joseph.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM

My last couple yrs in Sydney, I lived in Mosman and we could hear the animals in the Zoo at night! but when I first arrived, via ship in late 60s, the Opera House wasn't even finished.....special memories.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM

We loved our 05 visit to Sydney and to Oz. We also had the pleasure of an evening with llauraa, as well as an evening AND and an afternoon and barbecue with Aussiedoug. (see my Australia travelogues) Enjoyed your page.

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Am going to sydney shortly.Found your pages very useful and fascinating.Thank you.Regards,Vpas

• nativetraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM

I really enjoyed reading this page, can't wait to finally make it there :)

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Great pages on Sydney-I look to such pages to improve my Sydney pages and I live right here!

Gypsystravels

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Badges & Stats in Sydney