Paris Favorite Tips by Gypsystravels
Paris Favorites: 1,860 reviews and 2,254 photos
Favorite thing: The seat of the Paris city authorities, it stands on the site of the old City Hall which was burned down in 1871. Tours are conducted daily for groups and only by appoitment.
During the Christmas holidays an ice skating arena is erected in front of the Hotel De Ville to the delightment of all the children (and adults as well).
Okay, where to next??
Favorite thing: One of my favorite things to do in Paris is just walk around with no agenda and exploring new places. As many times as I've been here there are still areas that I've yet to explore and walking allows me to do just that.
Sometimes I grab a good map and figure out my route, what I would like to see, do and explore, or I just head out with no plans whatsoever.
In this photo you can see that I'm in deep thought trying to figure out exactly where I wanted to go as our time here was limited. We decided to visit the Marais.
Fondest memory: I do a lot of walking, and anyone that has traveled with me will attest that all my exploring in a city like Paris is almost always done on foot. You get the best experience of the city when you put your two feet to work.
Photo Exhibit outside Luxembourg Gardens
Favorite thing: On one of my many visits to Paris I decided to wander around the and explore the Luxembourg Gardens. Just outside the main gates was a large photo exhibit with some really interesting and moving photos.
What a great way to see a bit of Paris
Favorite thing: One of the best ways to see a bit of "Paris" is by Seine River Cruise. During one of my previous visit to Paris to celebrate my birthday a few vt friends and I decided to do exactly that. We had a great time seeing Paris from the river cruise.
VincentJJ came baring gifts, he brought the ladies all roses, how sweet.
Fondest memory: Getting together with some VT friends to celebrate my birthday was fantastic!!
Rows and rows of human remains
Favorite thing: I visit Paris often and part of what I love about this city is exploring something new. Wow, I was excited to visit the Catacombs as my curiosity was peaked when I read about these Catacombs and had promised myself to come and visit the resting place of millions of Parisians.
Located on a non-descript building you may miss it at first, but you won't be disappointed. Make sure to check the schedule before venturing to the catacombs. Exploring the catacombs at your own pace takes about 2 hours.
Fondest memory: The catacombs are located in Montparnase at 1 Pl Denfert-Rochereau. Take the metro to Denfert-Rochereau.
Operating hours are 10:00 - 5:00 Tuesday-Sunday
Although in French, check out their website for more information : www.catacombes.info
Favorite thing: The Paris Museum Pass is an excellent value if you plan to visit and see all the major attractions during your stay. The Pass includes points of interest in Paris and the surrounding region.
During my very frist visit to Paris I purchased the Paris Museum Pass because it gave me the best value to see as many major attractions that I wanted to see. As I was traveling alone, I wanted to spend most of my time visiting most of the museum that Paris is famous for.
The good thing about the pass is that you don't have to queue up to enter any of the museums, you just go to the front of the line and show your pass.
The Pass has a few options and depending on your length of stay and your desire to see as much as you can, the options for the pass are either a 2, 4 or 6 day pass.
Fondest memory: The pass provides "free" (you already paid for it) unlimited visits to over 50 museums and monuments.
For a detailed listing of all the locations you can visit with your pass check out their website below:
Yum, still warm and flaky!
Favorite thing: There is nothing quite as wonderous as a freshly baked baguette just out oven....leave it to my friend Badri to know exactly where to take us after a night out of partying.
We usually stop at a local bakery behind the Champs Elysees (can't recall the name) right before they send out their baguettes to other establishments....We chat up the owner while he sends us off with warm baguettes (or hot chocolate croissant) to curb our tummies before heading back to the hotel.
We never pay for our baguettes, I love the people of Paris :)
Enjoying my escargot
Favorite thing: I must admit that escargot aren't on my list of foods to eat back home and I'm not sure why, but the the first time I ever tried escargot was here in Paris.
I was dining with my friend in a non discript little bistro in the 6th and he asked me if I wanted an order, not wanting to let on that I had never had them, I said of course.
I didn't think I would like them, but I have thoroughly enjoyed them ever since.
There are pleny of restaurants in Paris that have escargot as a "side or h'our douvre", so why not give them a try?
Fondest memory: My first time in Paris enjoying a side dish of this delicate dish with my friend Badri.
Favorite thing: The Admiral's Club here in Paris is quite nice. I will say that I don't usually have the need for the club as I usually arrive at the airport with little time to enjoy it, but I have visited on a few occassions.
The club is a nice size with the usual complimentary house wine, beer and spirits, coffee, tea and soft drinks, light snacks, Wi-Fi, PCs with Internet access and of course the heavenly AAngels who can assist you with any travel issue or question.
More Reviews (99)
- See All Place de Bastille
- See All Kitchen and home gift items
- See All A quick bite
- See All Music in Montmartre
- See All Happy Hour 1/2 Price Drinks to start the...
- See All RER from the airport to Paris city...
Gypsystravels' Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 108 Reviews
- 293 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 129 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (293)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 204 reviews, 513 photos, 12 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 95 reviews, 309 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 294 photos, 13 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 111 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 102 reviews, 271 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 94 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 100 reviews, 252 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 105 reviews, 245 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 91 reviews, 210 photos, 4 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 75 reviews, 224 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (150)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 581 Reviews, 1032 Photos
- Eiffel Tower- 816 Reviews, 1425 Photos
- Louvre- 782 Reviews, 1546 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 648 Reviews, 1323 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 437 Reviews, 757 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 271 Reviews, 546 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 95 Reviews, 255 Photos
- Jardins du Luxembourg- 115 Reviews, 277 Photos
- Centre Georges Pompidou- 155 Reviews, 269 Photos
- Disneyland Paris- 111 Reviews, 168 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do