"Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg by Moirads

Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,097 reviews and 2,290 photos

Born, bred and living in this city and I love it.

Joburg is often referred to as a "melting pot". It is certainly a cosmopolitan city and one is likely to hear many more than just the eleven official languages of South Africa. Most people speak English though, so communication is not a problem.

Do enjoy my reviews of places I visit in Johannesburg. Remember that I am a local. I have my own transport and "street smarts" in the city. I don't carry a camera, nor do I look as if I have a ready source of travellers cheques and dollars or pounds or Euros. So please use your common sense when heading off to do these various things. Always ask the locals. We WANT you to be safe.

City of Festivals

Well, ok, it is not known as the City of Festivals, but there are several.

In January/February each year the classical music life of the city kicks off with the Johannesburg Mozart International Festival in time for a celebration of Mozart's birth anniversary on 27 January.

Also in January/February, in neighbouring Pretoria, at the University of South Africa, we have the Unisa International/National Music Competition. In even numbered years this is an international competition and in odd numbered years it is a national competition in preparation for the international competition (where we select our own competitors for the international competition). The competition is for strings, voice and piano in that running order. It began with a piano competition originally. 2010 was the international strings competition.

Towards the end of February the FNB Dance Umbrella begins and runs till mid March.

The Festival of Fame, the festival of the National School of the Arts, also takes place in March.

For the rich, the Chopin Festival at Le Canard Restaurant in March and the Shared Histories - The Indian Experience in September, and lots of other special happenings along the cultural front.

Not a festival, but an exhibition - SEXPO, in late September/early October at Gallagher Estate.

• Pros:A wonderful vibrant city
  • Cons:Big city blues ... and the perception of crime
  • In a nutshell:Home for me - the best place on earth.
  • Last visit to Johannesburg: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 7, 2011

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Excellent detailed tips. Cheers from Penang island, SL :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Back to see your new tips. Really interesting reading about the DeWildt centre. I would love to see the Honey Badger and the other animals, and to pat a Cheetah would have been quite an experience!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 1:08 PM

very well written tips you put up there.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Very interesting Moira. It proves that there is much to do in Jo'burg as I have been there three times and haven't seen anything you described. Nice tips.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Hi Moira, Nice tips that you have written. Done them extremely well. Now for the photo's or am I pushing my luck? lol ;-)

Moirads Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Johannesburg

Have you been to Johannesburg?

Photos in Johannesburg