"Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg by Moirads
Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,097 reviews and 2,290 photos
Joburg is often referred to as a "melting pot". It is certainly a cosmopolitan city and one is likely to hear many more than just the eleven official languages of South Africa. Most people speak English though, so communication is not a problem.
Do enjoy my reviews of places I visit in Johannesburg. Remember that I am a local. I have my own transport and "street smarts" in the city. I don't carry a camera, nor do I look as if I have a ready source of travellers cheques and dollars or pounds or Euros. So please use your common sense when heading off to do these various things. Always ask the locals. We WANT you to be safe.
Well, ok, it is not known as the City of Festivals, but there are several.
In January/February each year the classical music life of the city kicks off with the Johannesburg Mozart International Festival in time for a celebration of Mozart's birth anniversary on 27 January.
Also in January/February, in neighbouring Pretoria, at the University of South Africa, we have the Unisa International/National Music Competition. In even numbered years this is an international competition and in odd numbered years it is a national competition in preparation for the international competition (where we select our own competitors for the international competition). The competition is for strings, voice and piano in that running order. It began with a piano competition originally. 2010 was the international strings competition.
Towards the end of February the FNB Dance Umbrella begins and runs till mid March.
The Festival of Fame, the festival of the National School of the Arts, also takes place in March.
For the rich, the Chopin Festival at Le Canard Restaurant in March and the Shared Histories - The Indian Experience in September, and lots of other special happenings along the cultural front.
Not a festival, but an exhibition - SEXPO, in late September/early October at Gallagher Estate.
- Pros:A wonderful vibrant city
- Cons:Big city blues ... and the perception of crime
- In a nutshell:Home for me - the best place on earth.
Sexy, fiery and passionate Spanish traditional flamenco dance at The Fringe is a celebration of womanly glory. One of... more travel advice
Well, family spot and casino and people watching. :-) Emperors Palace, near the Johannesburg - no make that the OR... more travel advice
- See All Frank Wild's ashes found in Braamfontein...
- See All Joburg's oldest 'mall'
- See All Summer (November to March) is the rainy...
- See All Portuguese styled cuisine, well sort of...
Moirads' Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 50 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Wrote a Review Lunares, fiery flamenco (limited season) in Johannesburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lunares, fiery flamenco (limited season)"
- Posted in Travel Cambodia Forum "Re: Souvenir and Gift ?"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Johannesburg travel pages
- updated a Johannesburg Travel Page "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
Photos in JohannesburgSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 50 reviews, 97 photos
- South Africa Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Pretoria Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Greater London Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- England Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Swaziland Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Kruger National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sun City Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Zimbabwe Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Kenya Intro, 1 photo