"Pretoria - Administrative Capital of South Africa" Pretoria by Moirads
Pretoria Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 724 photos
Gauteng, South Africa, is the smallest of the nine provinces, and Johannesburg, not Pretoria, is the capital of Gauteng. Pretoria is one of three capital cities of Johannesburg (yes, it is complicated, but it was an attempt to appease the Boers at the time of the formation of the Union in 1910).
Pretoria is the administrative capital of the country, and it has some wonderful anomalies, such as the headquarters of the South African fleet being situated in this inland capital, 600 kms from the nearest sea and 1400 from the naval base in Simonstown.
Pretoria is also home to the beautiful Union Buildings, the Pretoria home of Parliament.
Bloemfontein is the judicial capital and the home of the Appeal Court. (Johannesburg is the home of the Constitutional Court, just to confuse things even more).
Cape Town is the legislative capital where Parliament convenes.
The State Theatre has had several restaurants over the years, but none of them actually seem to make a go of it. They... more travel advice
My friend, Keith, loves steam trains. He's loved them since his boyhood which is now over seven decades back. So for his... more travel advice
Moirads' Related Pages
Pretoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretoria - Capital of South Africa"
- "The Jacaranda City (at least for the time being)"
- "PRETORIA MY HOME TOWN............."
- "Beautiful Capital of South Africa"
- "Africa's leading Capital"
- "Back in my home town"
- "Pretoria - The Jackaranda City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pretoria
- Hotels in Pretoria
- Transportation in Pretoria
- Nightlife in Pretoria
- Restaurants in Pretoria
- Shopping in Pretoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Pretoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pretoria
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pretoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pretoria
Photos in PretoriaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 50 reviews, 97 photos
- South Africa Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Pretoria Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Greater London Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- England Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Swaziland Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Kruger National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sun City Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Zimbabwe Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Kenya Intro, 1 photo