"Wow..." Kotor by Treeman28
Kotor Travel Guide: 552 reviews and 1,292 photos
Coming by bus, prepare for disappointment. The bus station is underwhelming, opposite a derelict building, and the walk to the old town passes a creek with open sewage.
HOWEVER within seconds of entering the walls, your initial dismay will be replaced with the astounding assurance that you chose the right place.
The Old Town is a maze of narrow cobbled streets with crumbling Italianate houses with Venetian Gothic features and quirky little passages and steps. Chuck in a few baroque, yet distinctly Eastern, churches, and a smattering of pretty squares, and you have yourself a beautiful town.
It's a long way up... Looming ominously above everything in Kotor is the fortress, impossibly high and improbably awesome. Set aside a deal of time to reach the top as it's a long way, but the view and sense of achievement from the top is not to be missed
If you really do quake at the thought of going up, get to the church at least- that's where most photos are taken.
Though no dates are given anywhere online or in guidebooks, the festival runs from the end of July into around mid-August (it appeared) and was in full swing when we arrived. Expect noise and colour (and some bizarre art installations)
- Pros:Compact and intriguing old town, beautiful setting, cheap
- Cons:Small, dirty on the outskirts
- In a nutshell:Too small to get lost in- too intriguing not to try!
Due to the mix-up with our previous booking, we were a bit desperate when we inquired here. We asked for a room for 6,... more travel advice
Treeman28's Related Pages
Kotor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kotor and Europe's Deepest Fjord"
- "K O T O R"
- "Kotor Rebuilt"
- "The jewel of Montenegro"
- "WELCOME TO KOTOR!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kotor
- Hotels in Kotor
- Transportation in Kotor
- Nightlife in Kotor
- Restaurants in Kotor
- Shopping in Kotor
- Warnings and Dangers in Kotor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kotor
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kotor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kotor
Top 10 Pages
- Arnhem Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Malbork Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Germany Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Kotor Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Cambridge 1 review, 5 photos
- Bremen Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Bled Intro, 3 photos
- Kranjska Gora 1 review, 2 photos
- Slovenia 1 review, 1 photo