"Arnhem- a welcome change from windmills!" Arnhem by Treeman28
Arnhem Travel Guide: 382 reviews and 1,375 photos
The province of Gelderland, on the border of Germany, contributes least to the image of Holland as a flat, windmill and canal-infested country. Steeped in history and full of curious villages and scenic wooded parks, it is well worth the hour or so by train from Amsterdam and provides interest aplenty.
The capital of Gelderland is the historically significant silk centre of Arnhem, destroyed in the war and rebuilt as a lively city on the Rhine. To the North, charming suburbs give way to woods and sand dunes. To the East are forests and villages on the border of Germany. The West conceals a historic past, with sleepy hamlets fringing shady war cemeteries and isolated stately homes. Nijmegen lies to the South, with its distinctive cathedral and bridge over the Waal.
- Pros:History in abundance, cycling, art, museums, a zoo and lots of choice for eating
- Cons:A little out of the way (though accessible by train), not stereotypically Dutch!
- In a nutshell:Hang up your clogs and explore Arnhem's history and geography
The Kröller-Müller Museum, to the North of Arnhem, boasts the second largest collection of Van Gogh's as well as a... more travel advice
A short walk from Arnhem Central Station, Jansbeek is down a residential street very close to the lovely Sonsbeek Park... more travel advice
Treeman28's Related Pages
Arnhem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arnhem, green, green and more green"
- "These Arnhem pages are dedicated to Paul & Family"
- ""Garden City of the Rhine""
- "ARNHEM --A REAL GEM"
- "Five days alone in Arnhem..."
- "A visit I will never forget..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arnhem
- Hotels in Arnhem
- Transportation in Arnhem
- Nightlife in Arnhem
- Restaurants in Arnhem
- Shopping in Arnhem
- Warnings and Dangers in Arnhem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arnhem
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Arnhem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arnhem
Top 10 Pages
- Arnhem Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Malbork Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Germany Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Kotor Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Cambridge 1 review, 5 photos
- Bremen Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Bled Intro, 3 photos
- Kranjska Gora 1 review, 2 photos
- Slovenia 1 review, 1 photo