"Chengdu" Chengdu by al2401
Chengdu Travel Guide: 608 reviews and 1,573 photos
Although having a history dating back four thousand years, Chengdu is one of the most important economic centres in modern China. It is situated on a plain whose Chinese name is translated into 'The land of abundance' and the name has not been changed in history.
It has had some 'nicknames' such as the Brocade City after a brocade produced in the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC-23 AD), which was popular in the royal classes. Also the City of Hibiscus; the king of the Later Shu Kingdom, ordered the planting of hibiscus on the fortress wall surrounding the city.
Chengdu has a large spacious public square, Tianfu Square, which is watched over by a giant statue of Mao Zedong.
The city is also known for the Giant Panda Breeding Habitat which is a 'must see'.
Although there were plenty of flowers and plants I didn't see any Hibiscus.
What I did see was a multitude of bicycles and scooters - more than in any other city I visited in China. The traffic lights even have a special timing for cycles.
The Sichuan Opera, based in Chengdu, has a rtadition dating back more than 250 years. It is of course nothing like western opera and a lot of shows include a variety of performances from traditional song to acrobatics, slapstick and even fire breathing. The local tradition is that of 'Changing Faces' where performers change masks before your eyes.
- Pros:Chengdu blends history with a beautiful modern city - love the lighting.
- Cons:Traffic congestion and a level of pollution.
- In a nutshell:Have to go back to find a Hibiscus.
The Leshan Giant Buddha is the the largest carved stone Buddha in the world and at the time it was built was also the... more travel advice
Sichuan opera is a type of Chinese opera originating in China's Sichuan province around 1700. The performances today... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Chengdu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bright lights and many motorcycles!"
- "Chengdu - Home of China's Pandas"
- "Chengdu - A city of interesting culture"
- "THE CITY OF CHENGDU"
- "Chengdu - Home of the endangered Giant Panda."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chengdu
- Hotels in Chengdu
- Transportation in Chengdu
- Nightlife in Chengdu
- Restaurants in Chengdu
- Shopping in Chengdu
- Warnings and Dangers in Chengdu
- See All...
Explore the World
- Savanna-la-Mar Hotels
- Jewel Cave National Monument Hotels
- Ausable Chasm
- Umraniye Hotels
- Chennai (Madras)
- Limone sul Garda
- Porto Ercole
- Luoyang Hotels
- Pulau Bintan
- Uttarpara Hotels
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Estado de Baja California Norte
- Modrica Hotels
Badges & Stats in Chengdu
- 5 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Chengdu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chengdu
Photos in ChengduSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 41 reviews, 170 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Chengdu hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Chengdu West Century City
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Dragon Town International Youth Hostel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 25, 2013
- Chengdu Xinliang Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Kempinski Hotel Chengdu China
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Jin Jiang Hotel Chengdu
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Holly's Hostel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Chengdu California Garden Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- BuddhaZen Hotel
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Mix Hostel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Homeland Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 3, 2013
- Tibet Hotel Chengdu
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Rong Cheng Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2013
- InterContinental Century City Chengdu
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Sam's Guesthouse Chengdu Youth Hostel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Jinmantang International Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion