"Shanghai" Shanghai by al2401
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,079 reviews and 8,150 photos
A fishing village for many years, Shanghai's rise to greatness started as late as 1842. After winning the first Opium War the British established a concession in Shanghai, soon to be followed by the French, Japanese and the USA.
In the 1930's Shanghai was the most important port in Asia with world banking and trading firms establishing themselves along the Bund. Exports of tea, silk and porcelain were paid for by imports of opium. As the most modern city in Asia it was also the most licentious. No passports or visas were required and opium dens and brothels flourished.
Between 1931-41 many Jews fled Nazi persecution and settled in Shanghai but many foreigners evacuated during the Japanese bombings of 1937.
After WWII the allied forces signed Shanghai over to Chiang Kai-Shek and the Kuomintaing government and by 1949 most foreigners had left the city and its privately owned businesses in the hands of the Chinese Communist state. The Cultural Revolution of 1966-76 caused industry to flounder until the introduction of Deng Ziaopeng's open door policy when a commercial revival began.
Shanghai is one of the most diverse cities in the world and has a fascinating mix of old and new, east and west.
The history of the Yuyuan garden can be dated back to 1559 when it was built as a private garden. Pan Yunduan spent... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 6 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues