"Shanghai" Shanghai by al2401
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,044 reviews and 8,029 photos
A fishing village for many years, Shanghai's rise to greatness started as late as 1842. After winning the first Opium War the British established a concession in Shanghai, soon to be followed by the French, Japanese and the USA.
In the 1930's Shanghai was the most important port in Asia with world banking and trading firms establishing themselves along the Bund. Exports of tea, silk and porcelain were paid for by imports of opium. As the most modern city in Asia it was also the most licentious. No passports or visas were required and opium dens and brothels flourished.
Between 1931-41 many Jews fled Nazi persecution and settled in Shanghai but many foreigners evacuated during the Japanese bombings of 1937.
After WWII the allied forces signed Shanghai over to Chiang Kai-Shek and the Kuomintaing government and by 1949 most foreigners had left the city and its privately owned businesses in the hands of the Chinese Communist state. The Cultural Revolution of 1966-76 caused industry to flounder until the introduction of Deng Ziaopeng's open door policy when a commercial revival began.
Shanghai is one of the most diverse cities in the world and has a fascinating mix of old and new, east and west.
The history of the Yuyuan garden can be dated back to 1559 when it was built as a private garden. Pan Yunduan spent... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 6 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 41 reviews, 170 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 100 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (61)
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Jinjiang Inn (Tongji University)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- Central Hotel Shanghai
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Summit Service Apartment
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2012
- Lakeside Holiday
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Shanghai CCECC Plaza Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Broadway Mansions Hotel
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Shanghai Silver Court Service
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Motel 168 (Shanghai Aomen Road)
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2012
- Howard Johnson Zhengdi Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Wujiaochang
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 5, 2013
- JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Shanghai Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Changhang Merrylin Hotel Shanghai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 29, 2013
- Fraser Suites Top Glory Shanghai
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 9, 2013