"The Sunshine State" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland by al2401
State of Queensland Travel Guide: 8,327 reviews and 20,972 photos
Queensland is the second largest state of Australia by area and the third largest by population. It became a separate Crown Colony on 6 June 1859 (now celebrated as Queensland Day) and gained statehood upon Australian Federation in 1901.
Originally established as a convict settlement for troublesome prisoners the area around Brisbane encouraged free settlers and now the state's economy is dominated by the agricultural, tourist and natural resource sectors.
Most of the population live in the South East around the capital Brisbane. The coastal towns are popular (Cairns, Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton) and there are some major centres inland (Mt Isa, Longreach and Toowoomba).
Queensland is nicknamed 'The Sunshine State' to reflect our tropical and sub-tropical climate and the folk who live here are proud to be called Queenslanders.
Probably the destination most associated with Queensalnd is The Great Barrier Reef which is easily accessed from Cairns and the Whitsunday Islands.
Queensland is also proud of her rainforests. Unfortunately some have been destroyed in man's hunt for timber and land but there are many National Parks throughout the state where these forests can still be enjoyed.
- Pros:All the good things in life - I'm biased!
- In a nutshell:Bewdy Mate!
A common phrase around Maleny - "Down the Pocket". It means down to the Baroon Pocket Dam. This 380 hectare lake is the... more travel advice
Even though the grapes are not grown locally there is a Maleny Mountain label with quite a good selection of wines.... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
State of Queensland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queensland the Place to Be"
- "♫ HERE COMES THE SUN! ♫ ♫"
- "The Sunshine State"
- "The State of Queensland"
- "AMBERLEY AIR SHOW 2008"
- "Australia Zoo - Aussie animals"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Queensland
- Hotels in State of Queensland
- Transportation in State of Queensland
- Nightlife in State of Queensland
- Restaurants in State of Queensland
- Shopping in State of Queensland
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Queensland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Queensland
- 181 Reviews
- 717 Photos
- 68 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to State of Queensland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Queensland
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 41 reviews, 170 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Top State of Queensland hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Rockhampton Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Mooloolaba Hotels
- 100 Reviews - 385 Photos
- Fraser Island Hotels
- 166 Reviews - 465 Photos
- Magnetic Island Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 120 Photos
- Townsville Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Hervey Bay Hotels
- 161 Reviews - 319 Photos