"Doubtful Sound" Doubtful Sound by al2401
Doubtful Sound Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 65 photos
Named Doubtful Harbour in 1770 by Captain James Cook Doubtful Sound is in fact a fjord and is the second largest in New Zealnd's Fiordland. It is three times as long and ten times as large as Milford Sound. It has three large arms all branching off to the south. Hall Arm is quite protected and shows the visitor some amazing reflections.
The sound is home to fur seals, bottle-nosed dolphins, blue penguins and a variety of seabirds such as the gannet. The mountains are covered with thick temperate rainforest and waterfalls abound - especially after rain.
I prefer Doubtful Sound to Milford Sound.
Doubtful Sound can only be accessed by sea or by the road from the Manapouri Power Station over the Wilmott Pass. You first have to cross Lake Manapouri on a passenger boat - no vehicles - and take all you need for the day as there are no shops past Manapouri township.
Day trips are available from Queenstown or Te Anau. I recommend this company.
- Pros:Quite unspoiled - fewer boats than Milford
- Cons:More difficult to get to (but that is a Pro as well)
- In a nutshell:Awesome
Manapouri Power Station is an underground hydroelectric power station on the western arm of Lake Manapouri. It is the... more travel advice
Doubtful Sound is home to fur seals, bottle-nosed dolphins, blue penguins and seabirds like gulls and gannets. more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Doubtful Sound Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Doubtful Sound"
- "The Majestic Doubtful Sound"
- "Doubtful Sound"
- "DOUBTFUL SOUND - FIORDLAND, NEW ZEALAND"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doubtful Sound
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Doubtful Sound?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doubtful Sound
Photos in Doubtful SoundSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues