"Hub of the lake district" Twizel by al2401
Twizel Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 96 photos
The present town was built in 1968 to service the Upper Waitaki Hydroelectricity Scheme. The town is laid out with looping roads around a town centre. It was designed to be movable with many prefabricated buildings and minimal kerb and chanelling. On the winding down of the hydro project residents voted to keep their town.
Twizel is now a service town for tourism in the area and an accommodation centre for the visitors themselves. It is close to Mt Cook, Lakes Tekapo, Pukaki, Benmore, Aviemore, Waitaki and Ohau; and the Ohau ski fields. It is basically on the shores of Lake Ruataniwha which offers sailing, water skiing and rowing.
- Pros:Close to everywhere
- Cons:A bit expensive
- In a nutshell:A quaint dormitory town
The visitor centre at Mt Cook/Aoraki is quite amazing. It is full of imformation about the area including Maori history,... more travel advice
Border Collie dogs were introduced to the area in the 1800's byt the Scottish shepherds. Without these dogs the area... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Twizel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hub of the lake district"
- "Twizel - Heart of Mackenzie Basin"
- "Getaway town to Mt Cook area"
- "Built For a Dam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twizel
- Hotels in Twizel
- Transportation in Twizel
- Restaurants in Twizel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Twizel
- 12 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Twizel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twizel
Photos in TwizelSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues