"Akaroa" Akaroa by al2401
Akaroa Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 579 photos
Akaroa is 84km by road from Christchurch and is at the end of State Highway 75. It has a population of about 600 but in peak tourist time this can rise to about 7,000. The town sits on a large sheltered harbour and is surrounded by the remains of an ancient volcano.
While settled by the British, Akaroa’s claim to fame is its French history. In 1838, a year before New Zealand was claimed by the British, a French Captain made a provisional purchase of land in the Banks Peninsula. On his return to France he advertised for settlers who arrived in New Zealand in 1840 to discover that the peninsula was now British soil. They established a small settlement in August 1840 which was known as Port Louis-Philippe.
The area around Akaroa still has a French influence as seen in the many French place and street names.
The shop is in a unigue spot - along the wharf in Akaroa. It is painted a bright blue. Blue pearls are cultured pearls... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 41 reviews, 170 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 100 photos, 7 travelogues