"The end of the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga by al2401
Cape Reinga Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 160 photos
Cape Reinga is at the most north west tip of the Aupouri Peninsula and is more than 100 kilometres north of the nearest town of Kaitaia. State Highway 1 takes you all the way but it has only been sealed for the whole distance since 2010. Until then the last 19km was gravel. An alternative route for suitable vehicles is along Ninety Mile Beach and the Te Paki stream bed - tides permitting.
One of the M‚ori names for the cape, Te Rerenga Wairua, means 'leaping off place of the spirits'. The M‚ori believe that the spirits of the dead travel along Ninety Mile Beach and leave this world at Cape Reinga.
It is also the meeting place of two seas - the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
Cape Maria Van Diemen runs to the west of Cape Reinga.
The cape is a favourite for visitors and has been nominated for World Heritage Site status.
The Gumdiggers Park shop has many items of interest to the tourist as well as a good selection of jewelry made from the... more travel advice
Depending on the tide, one of the activities popular on Ninety Mile Beach is digging for pipis. Do you use a bucket and... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Cape Reinga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The end of the world"
- "Cape Reinga and Spirits Bay"
- "Cape Reinga - Top of New Zealand"
- "Rerenga Wairua"
- "Cape Reinga."
- "Cape Reinga , the top end of NZ."
- "Cape Reinga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Reinga
- Hotels in Cape Reinga
- Transportation in Cape Reinga
- Restaurants in Cape Reinga
- Shopping in Cape Reinga
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Reinga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Reinga
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Cape Reinga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Reinga
Photos in Cape ReingaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues