"Coromandel Peninsula" Coromandel by al2401
Coromandel Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 71 photos
When looking at a map of the North Island the Coromandel Peninsula is the pointy bit east of Auckland. It is an amazing concentration of scenery from surf beaches to green rolling hills.
The Coromandel Peninsula was named after HMS Coromandel, a ship of the British Royal Navy, which was itself named for India's Coromandel Coast. It stopped to pick up a load of kauri.
The peninsula covers the area from Whangamata in the south east and on the Pacific coast, through Whitianga in the north east, across to Coromandel Town in the north west and on the Hauaki Gulf and down to Thames in the south west at the bottom of the Firth of Thames.
The narrowest part is from Whitianga via Te Rerenga to Coromandel Town following State Highway 25.
North of Whangamata on State Highway 25 is a small fishing town of Tairua. It is a good place to stop for lunch with a... more travel advice
There are a number of cruises on Mercury Bay. I chose to take the Glass Bottom Boat. Unfortunatley the weather, although... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Coromandel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coromandel Peninsula"
- "The town on the peninsular."
- "Visits to Cormandel in 2005 and 2007"
- "Endless coast"
- "Untouched Paradise : Coromandel"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coromandel
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Coromandel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coromandel
Photos in CoromandelSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues