"A town fit for a Queen" Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown by al2401
Queenstown Travel Guide: 650 reviews and 1,729 photos
Modern day Queenstown is New Zealand's centre for adventure tourism - offering skiing and other winter sports, jet boating, whitewater rafting, bungy jumpingand hot air ballooning as well as the less adventuresome passtimes of hiking/tramping and fly fishing
The area is famous for its scenery especially in autumn and features beautiful lakes and mountains and picturesque villages like Arrowtown and Glenorchy. This scenery has made it the site for the filming of many movies - The Lord of the Rings Trilogy being the most noted.
It also has a vibrant night life.
William Rees first settled in the area in 1860 and the discovery, soon after, of gold in the Shotover River resulted in a gold rush. The population soared but the ceasing of gold mining in 1900 saw the population drop to 200. The current residential population in Queenstown is more than 8,500.
Queenstown was aptly named as being 'fit for Queen Victoria'
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, lots to do
- Cons:The weather can be fickle
- In a nutshell:Not enough time
On a lovely sunny autumn day this busy little cafe was the perfect place to sit and take in the atmosphere. We chose to... more travel advice
This restaurant had a warm welcoming feel, the atmosphere was casual and friendly as were the wait staff. The food... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Queenstown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Get Crazy in New Zealand's Fun Capital"
- "QUEENSTOWN - One of The Leading Mountain resorts"
- "A town fit for a Queen"
- "Queenstown - feel the adrenaline!"
- "Bungy Jump"
- "Queenstown - the adrenaline capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queenstown
- Hotels in Queenstown
- Transportation in Queenstown
- Nightlife in Queenstown
- Restaurants in Queenstown
- Shopping in Queenstown
- Warnings and Dangers in Queenstown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Queenstown
- 29 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Queenstown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queenstown
Photos in QueenstownSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues