"Whitianga" Whitianga by al2401
Whitianga Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 56 photos
Whitianga, on Mercury Bay, has been settled by Mâori people for almost 1000 years. The bay was discovered in 1769 by Captain James Cook on a journey to document the transit of Mercury. With a natural harbour and inlet Whitianga became a centre for boat building, flax milling and gold mining. There was also a huge Kauri mill and the associated gum digging.
Whitianga is one the centres on the eastern coast of the Coromandel Peninsula and its main industries are fishing, farming and tourism. There are a number of cruises around the bay and to Cathedral Cove made famous in the movie The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
There is a ferry across the harbour which connects with the road to Hahei and Hotwater Beach saving a drive of about 30kms.
Whitianga has a small harbour and marina compared to some but it is well sheltered. It is a busy harbour with a... more travel advice
Te Whanganui-A-Hei is the Mâori name for Cathedral Cove. The area is a Marine Reserve and a popular destination for... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Whitianga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whitianga on the Coromandel Peninsular."
- "Whitianga , Coromandel Peninsula"
- "Whitianga, on the Coromandel Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whitianga
- Hotels in Whitianga
- Transportation in Whitianga
- Restaurants in Whitianga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whitianga
- 8 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Whitianga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whitianga
Photos in WhitiangaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues