"Brisbane - the big country town has come of age!" Brisbane by al2401
Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,674 reviews and 3,808 photos
In 1823 three runaway convicts discovered the Brisbane River. The famous explorer John Oxley offically found the river a few months later and named it after the then Governor of New South Wales, Major-General Sir Thomas Brisbane.
1824 saw a penal colony established at Redcliffe Point (now the city of Redcliff). It was moved in 1825 to where is now the Brisbane CBD. Free settlers started arriving in 1838 and 1842 saw the penal settlement of Moreton Bay close due to lack of prisoners from Britain.
Many of the buildings from the middle to late 1800's still remain.
In 1925 20 local burghs amalgamated to form the Brisbane City Council making Brisbane one of the first cities to have all its local government services under a single administration. It still has one of the largest municipal areas in the world
For many years Brisbane was regarded as a large country town but became known worldwide when it hosted the 1982 Commonwealth Games closely followed by World Expo 1988.
One of the best loved 'things to do' in Brisbane, the City Cat ferry service, began in 1996.
Nearly all of the activity in Brisbane revolves about the river. From the Port of Brisbane near the mouth past the passenger liner terminal to the bends and curves as it snakes its way through the CBD the river is the life of the city. It is crossed by as many as 14 bridges and one new tunnel.
The river is also the focus of the annual Brisbane Festival staging a fantastic 'choreographed' fireworks display to open the festival.
Many of the city's superb restaurants overlook the river.
Brisbane has many parks and gardens that are open to the public. There are two botanical gardens (one in the CBD the other at Mt Coot-tha), Southbank Parklands with its own beach, Roma Street Parklands and squares like Anzac Square.
- Pros:A large city with a laid back atmosphere.
- Cons:A large city
- In a nutshell:No longer the poor cousin
While staying in Brisbane why not take in a show? There is always something happening at the Queensland Performing Arts... more travel advice
I have been travelling on the Brisbane River a bit recently and noticed a red tower on the river bank near the Brisbane... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Brisbane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland"
- "MY HOME"
- "Be it ever so humble......."
- "Home on the Range"
- "A big country town.................."
- "OK BRISBANE, HERE I COME"
- "BRISBANE – Out of ‘Moreton Bay’"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brisbane
- Hotels in Brisbane
- Transportation in Brisbane
- Nightlife in Brisbane
- Restaurants in Brisbane
- Shopping in Brisbane
- Warnings and Dangers in Brisbane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brisbane
- 35 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Brisbane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brisbane
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of al2401's Brisbane tips
- Wrote a Review QPAC about Queensland Performing Arts Complex in Brisbane Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "South Bank Parkland"
- updated a Brisbane Travel Page "Brisbane - the big country town has come of age!"
Photos in BrisbaneSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues