"The Heritage Town" Maryborough by al2401
Maryborough Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 81 photos
Maryborough is located on the Mary River approximately 255 kilometres north of Brisbane. The town and river were named in 1847 after Lady Mary Lennox (1790–1847) the beloved wife of Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, then Governor of the colony of New South Wales.
It was founded in 1847 and gained city status in 1905. During the 1800's Maryborough was a major Queensland port servicing many industries including gold mining, wool, timber and sugar.
Tourism plays a large role in the economy of modern Maryborough but even that is based on the past. The city some beautiful and well preserved public buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries such as Customs House and the General Post Office as well as many private homes. Some of these have been converted into business premises.
Other income is derived from local farming, a railway engineering workshop and a healthy fishing industry.
al2401's Related Pages
Maryborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maryborough's grand old Queenslanders"
- "Sweetberry's Maryborough Page"
- "Half way Between"
- "Passin' Thru Maryborough"
- "A Two Year Sojourn"
- "The Heritage Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryborough
- Transportation in Maryborough
- Nightlife in Maryborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Maryborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maryborough
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Maryborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryborough
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 41 reviews, 170 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 100 photos, 7 travelogues