"Nambour" Top 5 Page for this destination Nambour by al2401
Nambour Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 64 photos
Nambour is a town of almost 10,000 people situated about 100 km north of Brisbane. It is in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast. Once the administrative centre and capital of Maroocy Shire it is now the seat of the Sunshine Coast Regional Council. The name is derived from 'naamba' - the Aboriginal word for the local red flowering bottlebrush trees or Callistemon
The area was first settled in 1870 and was known as Petrie's Creek. The name was changed to Nambour in 1891.
Nambour became the central and mill town for the regional sugar industry and was well known for the cane train tracks running along the main street. The tracks were part of the Moreton Central Sugar Mill Cane Tramway which extended from Nabour to Coolum servicing the cane farms and at one stage providing transport to passengers. The mill ceased operation in 2003. One of the locomotives and various equipment is on show at the Nambour Historical Museum.
Nambour was on the Bruce Highway but was bypassed in 1990 due to the concerns of large road transport travelling through the town centre.
Nambour is the home of the Queensland Garden Expo which is held in July each year - it draws large crowds.
The town is a quiet place to stay while visiting the Sunshine Coast and is in the centre of the area.
As lover of Indian food I find the food here to be excellent. It is all very tasty and the hot is HOT! The menu has lots... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Nambour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nambour 2011...I always liked this town"
- "Friendly Nambour"
- "Nambour...quite close"
- "Once a Country Town"
- "Sweetberry's Nambour Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nambour
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Nambour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nambour
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues