"A little touch of country" Top 5 Page for this destination Palmwoods by al2401
Palmwoods Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 102 photos
Palmwoods is a country town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, 100 kilometres north of the Queensland capital of Brisbane. The town center is is located in a surrounding district which covers an area of 2300 square kilometres. The population is about 4,500
The area was originally thickly timbered forests with dense palm scrubs hence the name Palmwoods. In 1868, it became the wet weather route for Cobb & Co coaches traveling between Brisbane and the Gympie goldfields, with the first white settlers arriving in Palmwoods in 1881.
The economy of Palmwoods was originally based on timber but over ther years has become centred around into fruit farming becoming one of the largest areas for pineapples and citrus in the 1950's. Now the emphasis is on avocados and strawberries.
The township grew up around the railway line north form Brisbane, which opened in 1891, and was the lifeblood of the community. Now the railway is at the centre of traffic issues in the town.
The community spirit of Palmwoods was and still is strong . It has provided a number of public buildings and has supported sporting and community organisations.
Today the main issue in Palmwoods is that of land use. Many farms have become unsustainable and there is the inevitable confrontation caused by subdivision. Credit must be given as the present housing estates have been tastefully and environmentally designed retaining much of the 'rural' atmosphere.
Today, Palmwoods is a peacful country retreat with a patchwork of scenic farms set against the splendid backdrop of the Blackall Range. It is home to growing businesses such as Tropico, Gourmet Garden, a range of cottage industries and a variety of local business and services.
The centre of the community is, as with most rural centres, is the hall. The hall is used on a regular basis by a variety of groups. These include arts and crafts, indoor sports, dancing and church services.
Although a rural centre Palmwoods is self sufficient with residents having nearly all they require at hand. There is a supermarket, post office, bank, doctor, dentist, optometrist and vet; a popular shool and active churches; a mechanic, hairdresser, chiropractor and gym; a pub and various restaurants and take-away shops; a solicitor, accountant and real estate office; and even a police station
- Pros:A semi-rural community that has everything for a comfortable life
- Cons:thinking ........
- In a nutshell:Who'd live in a city!?
When walking to the Memorial Clock you look down you will notice plaques set into the footpath to remember people who... more travel advice
The lagoon at Kolora Park once acted as part of the water supply for Australian troops stationed at in the Sunshine... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Palmwoods Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palmwoods:Nothing is Forever"
- "A little touch of country"
- "An inviting town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland"
- "Nice Place To Take a Visitor"
- "Across the Highway"
- "This is Where We Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palmwoods
- Hotels in Palmwoods
- Transportation in Palmwoods
- Nightlife in Palmwoods
- Restaurants in Palmwoods
- Shopping in Palmwoods
- Warnings and Dangers in Palmwoods
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palmwoods
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Palmwoods?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmwoods
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues